• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cost of LCD tv's

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cost of LCD tv's"

Collapse

• jenever
    replied
    Hauppauge 500 PVr, Xen shuttle box and BeyondTV.

High maintenance, unreliable, hours of setup, lots of lovely features ... but since cars have become so impossible to maintain oneself, it fills a need .

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    For my 2p - This time last year
    About sums it up really...LAST YEAR!

This year you can get a 32incher for the same price and same, if not better, quality.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaggydabbydo
    Excuse me for being a little thick, but if HD means 1080 width and xxx down, what's the point of a HDTV with > 1080 width and xxx down?
    1080 and 720 are the height, not the width. Width is 1920 and 1280.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    For my 2p - This time last year our trusty old 28in CRT died. I figured with the Jan sales that I would get a LCD telly. I went round a few places and most places were pushing the flat screen jobbies for all they were worth - placing them in the best lit sites in the shops to make the image look that bit betterShowing demos with very little action going on to reduce the shadowing. I admit this may have changed since, but at the time I was not prepared to pay £1000 for something which I was not 100% happy with. So I opted for the £300 32inch CRT telly and it has been fine.

The same goes for my 20in Phillips monitor - for a big screen crt it is not that bulky. The desk it sits on is an L shape with a curve instead of an angle. As a result there is a lot of space between the rounded edge of the desk and the corner of the room. The monitor seems to fit this space. A flat monitor would look odd there.

I will be upgrading both soonish as I admit that the flat screen tech has closed the gap a lot and the prices have dropped - but at this moment I don't see the need to dump the trusty kit just yet.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    To get HD on Freeview, first replace every Freeview box in the country...
    Exactly.

On the resolution front, how many LCDs really are 1920x1080? Lots say they support HD but when you look at the specs they're actually a lower resolution, so will be reducing the quality. On top of that, your SD picture is going to look worse because of having to be stretched to the native resolution of the monitor. So you can't even claim that you're not losing anything by going to LCD.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaggydabbydo
    Excuse me for being a little thick, but if HD means 1080 width and xxx down, what's the point of a HDTV with > 1080 width and xxx down?
    HD = 1280x720 or 1920x1080, although strictly speaking anything with a higher resolution than SD is HD.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I'd grab a second hand CRT for £30 right now and hang on for the good stuff
    What if a second hand LCD was the same price?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Shaggydabbydo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    So whaddiya gonna do if you are on the hunt for a new TV?

Go with last years technology OR get this years technology for the same price?

Mailman
    I'd grab a second hand CRT for £30 right now and hang on for the good stuff

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    So whaddiya gonna do if you are on the hunt for a new TV?

Go with last years technology OR get this years technology for the same price?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I disagree. If you have a perfectly servicable CRT why buy now? Wait for HDTV to settle down and the 1080p TV's to come down in price. There is little point in me buying a swanky new plasma right now because I won't get any HDTV source to play on it.

Wait until they are broadcasting HDTV over freeview, or until sky/ntl/telewest/etc are broadcasting everything in true HDTV rather than one or two programs that are not an HDTV source being thrown accross the airwaves as HDTV.

As for the monitors, the only one I have seen so far that has made me want to get rid of my good old Iiyama 19" CRT is the new Benq 24" 1920 resolution LCD. The vast majority of LCD monitors have stupidly low resolutions maxing out at 1280*1024 with a 19" screen. I currently run my CRT at 1600*1200 and don't really want to drop the resolutions just so I can have a flat panel.

The stupid thing is that laptops have some very nice screens that can handle high resolutions, my laptop does 1920 * (whatever it is).

Anyway my advice would be wait for the content, and while you are waiting the technology will get better and prices will drop.
    Very sensible advice.

I take the approach that there is no point in buying the latest new fangled toy on the grounds that next year it will be half the price - and by that time I find that I have completely lost interest in that damned thing in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Shaggydabbydo
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    and with Freeview aimed at the poor and/or ignorant

x-squeeze me?

Please explain that comment.

Regs, Shaggy

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Well then that means you have no vision

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by spoons
    I thought the BBC had a trial for HD over freeview recently???
    I believe so. I wasn't saying it isn't technically possible, just that with limited bandwidth on DTT and with Freeview aimed at the poor and/or ignorant, I can't see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    BBC is going to be showing HD content and so are a couple of other players like NTL or what ever their name is?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X