• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Winter tyres fitted today"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    OOOOps looks like it is of to ze camps for you.

Not having ze right tyre is an offence against ze state.

We vill exterminate.

Idiot

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

OOOOps looks like it is of to ze camps for you.

Not having ze right tyre is an offence against ze state.

We vill exterminate.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    yeah I have two sets of wheels for all cars

the Q7 has 18"s for winter and 20"s for summer, I guess the summers on the Cayenne are 21"s.
    Not too sure, quite ignorant in that regard (fits the driver profile I guess!)

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Yeah runflats, no spare wheel. Where the spare wheel would normally be (under the boot floor) is a base speaker thing. We keep summer and winter tyres on their own wheels, which are kept at the garage. Don't bother changing them over myself.
    yeah I have two sets of wheels for all cars

the Q7 has 18"s for winter and 20"s for summer, I guess the summers on the Cayenne are 21"s

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    yeah you are lucky you are so close it takes me 3 hours to get to munich alone

have you got runflats on the Cayenne and does the Cayenne have a spare wheel ?
    Yeah runflats, no spare wheel. Where the spare wheel would normally be (under the boot floor) is a base speaker thing. We keep summer and winter tyres on their own wheels, which are kept at the garage. Don't bother changing them over myself.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Have had good and bad days on Hintertux. Luckily only a 2-hour drive away so can more or less decide on a whim when to go. A tank of fuel + ski pass is all that's needed.

Had Pirelli's fitted this year too. Never bother with all season, think it's a bit of a false economy. The Winter tyres are very soft, I can feel it just driving around the village, like I'm on jelly. Whereas the summer tyres, it's like I'm on a railway line.
    yeah you are lucky you are so close it takes me 3 hours to get to munich alone

have you got runflats on the Cayenne and does the Cayenne have a spare wheel ?

those runflats are effing expensive and effing heavy when changing the wheels over twice a year - I do it myself rather than lose half a day going to the tyre service

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    that's the problem with Hintertux it's always cloudy

Milan.
    Have had good and bad days on Hintertux. Luckily only a 2-hour drive away so can more or less decide on a whim when to go. A tank of fuel + ski pass is all that's needed.

Had Pirelli's fitted this year too. Never bother with all season, think it's a bit of a false economy. The Winter tyres are very soft, I can feel it just driving around the village, like I'm on jelly. Whereas the summer tyres, it's like I'm on a railway line.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    yep we've got the winter wellies on now

Michelins on the A4

Pirelli's (new this season) on the Q7

and Continentals on the Passat (car was new in May)

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    South of Munich. Some shots I took back in May believe it or not when driving back from Hintertux I think it was. The use of winter tyres make a massive difference, the snow sticks to the tyres, which gives you more confidence. Also we're required to carry snow chains if you're not driving a 4x4. So I don't carry them

And here's a shot of me in my dressing gown

that's the problem with Hintertux it's always cloudy

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Just having my all-season tyres removed and having ones with snowflake markings fitted.

Regulations for the use of winter tyres in Germany have been tightened since 1 January 2018. Put simply it means that only winter tyres or all-season tyres with the Alpine symbol (snowflake symbol) will meet the new requirements.

...the definition of a ‘tyre with winter properties’ has been modified since 1 January 2018. To meet the new requirements, a minimum tread of 4 millimetres is recommended (1.6 millimetres is mandatory but perhaps Germany will also decide, just as in Austria, to increase this to 4 millimetres), and winter or all-season tyres must have the Alpine symbol shown below.

New regulations for winter tyres in Germany | ACSI Eurocampings Blog

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    It's 12 degrees out - pretty sure proper winter tyres perform quite badly at those temps.
    Scooty knows better with his technical analysis charts...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    Sadly mine are only rated to 240 km/h which means you're not using the car to it's full potential

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Turns out winter tyres are better all year round, especially in wet climates, so not only for snow. However the performance of the car drops a few places, you notice the fuel consumption increase. Swings & roundabouts.
    Not quite. Sure if you have to pick just 1 set that's not all-seasons, winter tires in the summer is better/safer than summer tiers in the winter. But winter tires are not better than summer tires during the summer (who would have thought...) Notably the weakest point of winter tiers is performance on wet surface, as they sacrifice grooves/profile optimised for water drainage, for snow gripping grooves/profile.

The other disadvantage of using winter tires in the summer is that they are wearing much faster at high temps, as the rubber is getting too soft.

Some drivers have the misconception that because large parts of the UK rarely see snow, they don't really need winter tires. They are unaware that the handling and stop distance of a general summer tire degrades in low temps, usually the break point is 7C.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Good job I got the tyres swapped in time... outside the house this morning be like:

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Probably not, but winter tyres offer better performance and handling than all-season tyres, in cold weather and with snow. Summer tyres offer better performance and handling in dry, warm weather.

Since it seldom gets that cold in the UK, or that hot, all-season tyres are the norm.
    I think you mean "summer" tyres are the norm in the UK all year round, unless you have stats to show differently?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X