• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "England in the semi-final"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Did you put your money where your mouth is and collect a wad from the bookies?

Obviously going by my earlier post I didn't believe they would get to the semi, and on reflection I was almost right. They only got there due to a favourable route after the loss to Belgium in the group, and lost to all the decent teams they were not really expected to win against on form and rankings (Belgium, Croatia, Belgium). Too reliant on set pieces that paid off in the early games, that exposed their lack of open play goals when it mattered. e.g. 1 shot on target to Croatia's 7 during the whole semi-final.

As it is they overachieved, yet now I expect the hype will be that they will win the next Euros. Let's see if they qualify first.
    Not a great bettor, but yes I made a bit.
    As I said in a different thread I didn't expect ENgland to win but once they had deliberately lost to Belgium in the group stage, their path was easy(easier).
    Have to say Gareth is an excellent manager - he got the best out of of what is a very limited team.

There is a desperate need for a Paul Ince or Paul Scholes type, Jordan Henderson works hard but can't cut it at the highest level.
    Last edited by sasguru; 26 July 2018, 08:44.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ahem! Ahem! I thank you!
    Did you put your money where your mouth is and collect a wad from the bookies?

Obviously going by my earlier post I didn't believe they would get to the semi, and on reflection I was almost right. They only got there due to a favourable route after the loss to Belgium in the group, and lost to all the decent teams they were not really expected to win against on form and rankings (Belgium, Croatia, Belgium). Too reliant on set pieces that paid off in the early games, that exposed their lack of open play goals when it mattered. e.g. 1 shot on target to Croatia's 7 during the whole semi-final.

As it is they overachieved, yet now I expect the hype will be that they will win the next Euros. Let's see if they qualify first.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Ahem! Ahem! I thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Are Pizza Hut offering the commemorative Southgate paper bag yet or are they waiting till he resigns after failing to get England out of the group?

Oh for the wistful days of getting knocked out at the quarter final stage.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    They are pretty much on a par with England's.................non-existent.

If they could roll you into goal it would help.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    According to the Beeb, we have a 4% chance of winning.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44383950
    Which is slightly more than Scotland's chances then...
    4% more chance than Scotland. Best not put the bubbly on ice JUST yet then Mordac!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    According to the Beeb, we have a 4% chance of winning.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44383950
    Which is slightly more than Scotland's chances then...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Very good Shaun. Shall we talk about Scotland's chances? Thought not...
    But Wales and Scotland are crap and we know it. To be honest, in Wales, its is popular but not THAT popular.

And honestly, if wales were in it we wouldn't be telling everyone we were going to win it. Thats what winds the rest of the UK up more than anything.

And remember when Wales got to the SF a few years ago? If England had done that we'd have had a 20 page commemorative pullout in all the papers. But not if its wales or scotland. That winds us up too.

I remember years ago too. Wales got to the SF of the rugby world cup. England had been dumped out early. One paper had one column on the SF game and two pages discussing where England had gone wrong and some non-story about that bellend who dived off the ferry.

This is why the welsh and scottish think its funny when england lose...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

Ain't that the truth...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    England are 12/1 to win the World Cup.

For those who don't understand how betting works, it means that if you place £10 on England to win the World Cup, you will lose £10!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    England are 12/1 to win the World Cup.

For those who don't understand how betting works, it means that if you place £10 on England to win the World Cup, you will lose £10!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    In chaos and stupidity, lies opportunity.
    As your Polish builders used to say...........

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Oh dear here we go again....

Not as bad as usual this time I will admit, but its coming - that old english trait of overconfidence. How long before its 3 Lions, 1966, and stupid references to the war in the Sun if england play germany?
    Rarely, is there overconfidence, just hope. I think you lot in Wales, Scotland etc have been subjugated by the English for so long now, you forget what confidence and hope is. Nowadays, you just moan and ask for more money for benefits and Iron Bru.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    If you left your Frinton-on-Sea Gammon Club, you would note that the whole world is merrily mocking dear old England.
    Yeah but actually they are not -- in fact actually most people in the world really could not give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X