• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "General Election in 2008 ?"

Collapse

• benn0
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure whether the "stable economy" will hold up until 2010, but then we on here hoped it would be visibly creaking by now.
    Typo corrected.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by ZZZZ Snoozer
    Hazel Blears apparently thinks so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6220352.stm

My guess is that Labour will fight the next election (especially an early one) on a "give Gordon a chance, he's only been PM for a short time" platform. Oh, and there plenty of people out there stupid enough to be taken in.
    It is not usual to call the general election early unless the government are struggling with a small majority.

As others in this thread have said, it might happen as soon as Gordo becomes PM (and he will) on the subtext of giving the new PM a mandate (if they think that the economy is about to go tits up and he'll try and get the election out of the way before that happens), otherwise I can see them waiting the maximum time allowed - May 2010.

As far as I can see, those are the two options. We will not get a General Election in 2009.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "He'll disappear onto the US lecture tour. They seem to like him over there."

When I worked out there, they seemed suprised that I didn't like Blair - he is more popular out there than GW
    Much to my delight I do recall reading in the US press that Blair is now viewed as being a Loser - the ultimate social stigma in the US - due to his reckless involvment in Vietnam2 - sorry Iraq.

Alas Tony - had you read my earlier warnings you would have never have been so foolhardy ...

Apparently his fees for the lecture tour (and I predicted this was his game plan years ago) are set to fall by 50 per cent or more - nobody in the US wants to listen to a loser.

So he might well end up as our next Tory PM.

He does have a large mortgage to pay.

Poor Sod.

You read it here first - and before you laugh the Pruffock Almanack has already predicted the demise of Rumsfield...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 8 December 2006, 16:57.

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Do you reckon just before the election they will trot out more stories about browns retarded kid for the sympathy vote?

Mailman
    Possibly. But what about Cameron's crippled kid? (in a non PC slightly alliterative mood there

Politico's having disabled kids is so Noughties!

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied

My guess is that Labour will fight the next election (especially an early one) on a "give Gordon a chance, he's only been PM for a short time" platform. Oh, and there plenty of people out there stupid enough to be taken in.
    Do you reckon just before the election they will trot out more stories about browns retarded kid for the sympathy vote?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

It's more likely a deliberate plant to get Cameron to expedite his policies so liebour can quickly encorporate them into their proposed manifesto thus weakening Cameron's attack against liebour or leaving him no choice but to take the traditional (and proven unsuccessful in rallying the critical swing voters needed) "nasty Tories" agenda.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "He'll disappear onto the US lecture tour. They seem to like him over there."

When I worked out there, they seemed suprised that I didn't like Blair - he is more popular out there than GW

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    5) Blair defects to Conservatives
    Nobody would have him now, let alone them. Damaged goods.

He'll disappear onto the US lecture tour. They seem to like him over there.

Leave a comment:

• ZZZZ Snoozer
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    How did he know?
    Not sure how he knew, he was one of these guys who was really into politics (including membership of Communist Party, Labour, Liberals but not all at once). He has probably been in the Conversative Party, UKIP and BNP by now.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    From the Pruffock 2008 Almanack (c)

1) SNP takes majority vote in Scotland
    2) Conservative/Libdem gains Westminster majority
    3) NL consigned to the dustbin of political history
    4) Gordon Brown defects to SNP
    5) Blair defects to Conservatives
    6) Cameron defects to the Liberals
    7) Saddam new leader of National Front
    8) Blair becomes the new Tory PM

Meet the new Boss
    Same as the Old Boss
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 8 December 2006, 14:28.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Some years before this happened, a colleague told me that Major was going to be the next leader of the Tory Party. Wish I'd had the guts to go to Ladbrokes and place a sizeable bet.
    How did he know?

Leave a comment:

• ZZZZ Snoozer
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    Heseltine never made it and instead we got Major.
    Some years before this happened, a colleague told me that Major was going to be the next leader of the Tory Party. Wish I'd had the guts to go to Ladbrokes and place a sizeable bet.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Why does everyone assume Gordo is going to be the next PM?
    Good point, politics works in funny ways. Heseltine never made it and instead we got Major.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    There isn't enough opposition to him in the Labour party. Nobody else could get close to half the votes in any of their three "colleges".

Unless the economy suddenly goes big tits-up of course, and he fails to deflect the blame.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied

We know Tone is leaving but he can't just hand over the leadership.
    NL will have to hold an election and I can see one or two members not voting for Gordie. Besides, he may decide his family needs him or some other out of the blue bombshell.

It could be the perfect opportunity for the opposition to hijack proceedings.
    Whilst NL tears itself appart looking for a new leader the country will be (even more) rudderless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X