• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Office etiquette

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office etiquette"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Or have a decent size torch 🔦

A family member was in a situation where someone broke in and there was a fight. The intruder was badly hurt.

The intruder was known to the police, had spent time in prison for injuring a police man. Anyway charges where brought against the family member and the intruder. Everyone agreed to drop charges.

This was a few years ago, hopefully things have changed but still sobering to think if someone breaks into your house you have to be careful and not hurt them.
    Indeed I have often wondered if proper etiquette is to offer the intruder a cuppa and a smoke after he has raped the wife and kids.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's why so many people play cricket and have kids who play baseball.
    Or have a decent size torch 🔦

A family member was in a situation where someone broke in and there was a fight. The intruder was badly hurt.

The intruder was known to the police, had spent time in prison for injuring a police man. Anyway charges where brought against the family member and the intruder. Everyone agreed to drop charges.

This was a few years ago, hopefully things have changed but still sobering to think if someone breaks into your house you have to be careful and not hurt them.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Yeah, me too. I've been slowly introducing widescreen monitors onto my desk from home. I've gradually walled myself in. I'd recommend it.
    No one snot fingers the keyboard I bring in from home...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    aye, well, - i'll worry about that after it happens.
    That's why so many people play cricket and have kids who play baseball.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Still needs to be an "accident" as you can only use reasonable force against burglars otherwise they will try and sue you.
    aye, well, - i'll worry about that after it happens.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    He'd be a burglar. i work from home
    Still needs to be an "accident" as you can only use reasonable force against burglars otherwise they will try and sue you.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    You can only break his arms by "accident" by giving him a good kicking for being under the desk.

I wear dresses and skirts so I would have so much fun if some idiot crawled under any desks.
    He'd be a burglar. i work from home

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If found someone crawling around under MY desk, i'd break his arms.
    You can only break his arms by "accident" by giving him a good kicking for being under the desk.

I wear dresses and skirts so I would have so much fun if some idiot crawled under any desks.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Technically he was under the desk opposite me - which gave him full access to the back of my base unit.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Ok, if you are sure. Although the guy in question was also using my monitor for a couple of months as I had neglected to collect it after leaving.
    No this was a new starter (contractor) who knew full well what he was doing and somehow hoped I wouldn't notice...

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    It wasn't his monitor or keyboard/mouse. it was on the bank of hotdesks my team had used for a few weeks and a machine I used regularly by getting in early enough. This guy had just started and come in too late to get one of the fully working desks.
    Ok, if you are sure. Although the guy in question was also using my monitor for a couple of months as I had neglected to collect it after leaving.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    It was his monitor I imagine. I had to go back to somewhere I used to work to pick up my monitor. When I arrived some random had taken it from my old desk and was using it. I was very polite and asked for it back but he seemed really put out.
    It wasn't his monitor or keyboard/mouse. it was on the bank of hotdesks my team had used for a few weeks and a machine I used regularly by getting in early enough. This guy had just started and come in too late to get one of the fully working desks.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Was in a first come first served hot desk situation at a large well known government bailed out and now owned bank and one day I was sat there working until a guy came in, sat opposite me, crawled under the desk and proceeded to start unplugging the mouse/keyboard/screen from the machine I was working on while I was working on it.

I wanted to choke him out but had to make do with "Oi mate - WTF are you doing?!"
    It was his monitor I imagine. I had to go back to somewhere I used to work to pick up my monitor. When I arrived some random had taken it from my old desk and was using it. I was very polite and asked for it back but he seemed really put out.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Was in a first come first served hot desk situation at a large well known government bailed out and now owned bank and one day I was sat there working until a guy came in, sat opposite me, crawled under the desk and proceeded to start unplugging the mouse/keyboard/screen from the machine I was working on while I was working on it.

I wanted to choke him out but had to make do with "Oi mate - WTF are you doing?!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X