• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Free at last from clutches of HMRC"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    It was having them both on my back that was bothering me. To be fair, the Revenue Commissioners had my tax refund in my bank account three days after my tax return was filed.
    Especially as you couldn't offer a cash discount to either of them...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    HMRC, Head of Anglo-Irish Enforcement.

Reaction as nlady asks for a review of her Dutch sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Aye but it's disguised as a registration tax, and has VAT added. This Cork guy I met was looking at cars in NI was buying this Merc AMG 6.3 litre jobbie, 2010 model year, he reckoned the 'registration' cost to export to South was €10000, plus VAT, and he was prepared to pay it. 36% of OMSP (and VAT). Trouble is no-one knows what the revenue deem the OMSP to be on oddball cars.

€10k isn't a registration fee, it's a sham and everyone knows it.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Not at all. It is definitely nothing about import, just registration.
    Aye but it's disguised as a registration tax, and has VAT added. This Cork guy I met was looking at cars in NI was buying this Merc AMG 6.3 litre jobbie, 2010 model year, he reckoned the 'registration' cost to export to South was €10000, plus VAT, and he was prepared to pay it. 36% of OMSP (and VAT). Trouble is no-one knows what the revenue deem the OMSP to be on oddball cars.

€10k isn't a registration fee, it's a sham and everyone knows it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    But claiming it back on export.....

It's an illegal tax, supposed to be no import/export taxes/duties within EU.
    Not at all. It is definitely nothing about import, just registration.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Nope, coming back for a day or so will be a problem because it restarts the clock for being ordinarily resident in the UK.
    Eh? Explain...

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Nope, coming back for a day or so will be a problem because it restarts the clock for being ordinarily resident in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    They're no problem if you are paying VRT.
    But claiming it back on export.....

It's an illegal tax, supposed to be no import/export taxes/duties within EU.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    They're not so nice with the VRT, if it's them that do it....
    They're no problem if you are paying VRT.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    The Revenue Commissioners are also equally quick at refunding VAT (at least to an Irish business account, if you are registered for VAT in Ireland).
    They're not so nice with the VRT, if it's them that do it....

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    It was having them both on my back that was bothering me. To be fair, the Revenue Commissioners had my tax refund in my bank account three days after my tax return was filed.
    The Revenue Commissioners are also equally quick at refunding VAT (at least to an Irish business account, if you are registered for VAT in Ireland).

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    I have the PDF of the conversation. That will do me fine.
    They will still contact you and you will have to (try to) convince them using that PDF.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    HMRC is dead! Long live the Revenue Commissioners!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    HMRC is dead! Long live the Revenue Commissioners!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    To be fair, I could imagine a blog by Brillo to be highly entertaining.
    Not if you have an ounce of human pity in your hardened and cynical soul.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X