• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best savings rates...."

Collapse

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Short term thinking. I'm talking over 20 years. 40K is a small sum after all.
    Some of my index funds are emerging markets, now is the time to get in if you have a 10-20 year outlook.
    Very little invested in UK securities.
    And yes I have a diversified portfolio including cash and property.
    You are talking over 20 years?

Good news - I am also.

Refer to graph and the peaks. You would be *much* worse now, particular relative to inflation. As I said, don't invest right now if you're new to it, because as you can see the past peaks aren't hugely below the existing peak. Why is it a peak? Companies aren't doing particularly well, consumer loans are much higher, spending is trending downwards. If you invest some huge lump sums in the next 6 months you will regret it. Instead split those into 36 lump sums and invest per month instead; that's far better advice:

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Kids savings account - Halifax offering 4%

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    bitcoin bitcoin bitcoin - when will you people learn?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    I'd hold out for a Zopa account.
    I love watching it tick up every day. Just over 100k now. Not sure of the exact return but seems to be around 5 1/2 percent.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    GBP and USD recent devaluation and tax changes account for the recent stock-market surges. P/E ratios are quite high in the UK and USA for the top companies. Go look at a FTSE100 graph or S&P.

You're advising to invest in an index tracker NOW? That's an idea dreamt up from nonsense. Stocks are at an all-time high and can only go so high based on currency devaluation and some minor corporate changes - absolutely invest in cash and some trust holdings now until they head downwards within the next year max.

Alternatively, invest a little every month to offset the forthcoming doom and forget about those transfers. Investing individual large sums over the next 3 months is a fool's game.
    Short term thinking. I'm talking over 20 years. 40K is a small sum after all.
    Some of my index funds are emerging markets, now is the time to get in if you have a 10-20 year outlook.
    Very little invested in UK securities.
    And yes I have a diversified portfolio including cash and property.

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    STick it into an index linked fund and forget about it.
    Am shocked to see how well my pension is performing, makes me feel
    GBP and USD recent devaluation and tax changes account for the recent stock-market surges. P/E ratios are quite high in the UK and USA for the top companies. Go look at a FTSE100 graph or S&P.

You're advising to invest in an index tracker NOW? That's an idea dreamt up from nonsense. Stocks are at an all-time high and can only go so high based on currency devaluation and some minor corporate changes - absolutely invest in cash and some trust holdings now until they head downwards within the next year max.

Alternatively, invest a little every month to offset the forthcoming doom and forget about those transfers. Investing individual large sums over the next 3 months is a fool's game.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    STick it into an index linked fund and forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied
    I did the same a couple of weeks ago - will let you know if I get an invite.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Cool - Will join the waiting list.

Leave a comment:

• mattfx
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    started a topic Best savings rates....

Best savings rates....

Looking to invest £30-40K. Seen a 1.95% rate with Atom Bank, which is an app-only account.
    Vanquis are offering 1.86.

Both above are for a year term.

Anyone used them?

Another option I am looking at is Ratesetter - Zopa are not taking on new investors. I am interested in the Peer to Peer ISA - Ratesetter don't have this at present - Is it worth waiting, going with Ratesetter regular account or another option?

Working...
X