• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I hate contracting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hate contracting"

Collapse

• Lucy
    replied
    Well, exactly, and if the permies have any brains they are getting 'mission critical work' documented / taught to permies surely !

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    "I know I am being dense, but I can't understand what work couldn't be given to a contractor..."

Mission critical stuff. For example you wouldn't make your General leading the troops in a battlefield a Mercenary would you?

So stuff that if the person wasnt there you couldnt do or replace.

That sort of thing.
    Thats a false comfort permies have. The whole "dont give that to a contractor" doesnt exist in the loggie world as people get head hunted left right and center and have no more loyalty than me. Its nice to see people think that just becuase they have a contract this will somehow stop them flicking two fingers to the wind when then get more $$$ for thier time.

Leave a comment:

• Paula
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    So this client has worked you out as well, have they?
    He doesn't seem to last long on client sites!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    I was in a conference call yesterday when the bloke on the other end of the phone asked if I was a contractor. On an affirmative he then said to the whole room, "oh I think it's a mistake giving this piece of work to a contractor" to which I had to reply out loud 'It's lucky I have a thick skin isn't it'

and the moneys tulip.

He's right though. Come renewal, I aint renewing and they should have never given the work Im doing to a contractor!!!
    So this client has worked you out as well, have they?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    That is why parents stay together.
    Well if i do have a mid-life crisis I will be aiming at a lady in her mid-twenties (which will probably ensure that my mid-life crisis never occurs )

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    That is why parents stay together.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "I don't want to be attacked by some rampant granny.... Ewwwwwww"

We know you do. Think of the benefits. She can't get up the duff! She could have the teeth optional mode. You can have a sly grope of her boobs under the desk while they are resting on her lap. When you want to finish her, all you have to do is creep up behind her and pop a bag of crisps!

All I can say is i'm glad I finished my lunch a while ago.....

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I don't want to be attacked by some rampant granny.... Ewwwwwww"

We know you do. Think of the benefits. She can't get up the duff! She could have the teeth optional mode. You can have a sly grope of her boobs under the desk while they are resting on her lap. When you want to finish her, all you have to do is creep up behind her and pop a bag of crisps!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    churchill = grim pill

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Have to let me know the name of the company so that I can apply for a highly placed job there in 10 years time when I have my mid-life crisis!!

Then again, that all depends on how old she is... I don't want to be attacked by some rampant granny.... Ewwwwwww

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    Yes, and she had worked there for 18 years, bullying her way to the top. (or should that be sucking ?)
    You women can be really nasty at times.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    My wife's not a redhead! Er...what is 2ic? Second in command?

Yes, and she had worked there for 18 years, bullying her way to the top. (or should that be sucking ?)

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Tell me about it. I have a %*@!£# bullying line manager and a %*@!£# bitchy colleague who's so far up the manager's derriere it's unbearable working here. Even taken the man to greivance procedures - but what can you do? Shame really as the company is great.
    Obviously being a contractor I don't have a manager, I only have clients. Have we got a closet permie here?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    My wife's not a redhead! Er...what is 2ic? Second in command?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Ah yes, that one.

I guess that's why the Bastard Alan left her...

Some women can have pretty severe hormonal imbalances, one of my mates sisters used to scream at anybody who went near her 3 weeks a month (week before she was tulipty, week during she was ready to kill, week after she would just bite your head off).

But in this case more likely she was just a deranged nutter whose life was falling around her ears because she couldn't keep her knickers up and she was blaming it on everybody else while desperatly trying to sleep with the boss to keep her job safe.

Hope that covers it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X