• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sky news total bulltulip"

Collapse

• hattra
    replied
    Anyone volunteering to see what it tastes like then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It will take less than microgram of weight of that substance to die horribly, so you most likely wont be able to taste it.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    The most likely route is in food (he apparently had soup at one point) or in a hot drink. Considering the fatal dose is extremely small, it could easily have been administered in one go (as it also generates a lot of heat, it probably kept his coffee warm too )
    Would it be tasteless though? if you got given a coffee that tasted extremely strange you would probably think twice at the time, and later on when you got sick remember that strange tasting coffee and tell the doctors about it. From what i have seen in the media so far Litvijenko had no idea when he could have been poisoned, he was just fairly sure it was Putin who was to blame.

I'm not saying it is impossible for it to have been added to something he ate or drank (and I don't know if you can administer it in a tasteless/odourless form), but I would have expected him to have been able to pinpoint the time and place he was poisoned himself if this was the case

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    From the Physics and Chemistry I did when i was doing A-levels I would agree with that. Alpha particles are generally speaking pretty harmless.

The interesting question is how did the assassin manage to get him to consume a radioactive substance without realising? the media has said that they belive it was discharged in an aerosol format, but to do this the assassin would have had to walk up to Litvijenko and spray it in his face as he was breathing it in. It would also have had to be inhaled for a long enough time to ensure a fatal dose was administered. The other option is that the assassin did this at each location where radiation has been found so that he gradually increased the dosage until it was fatal, but then he would have had to spray this stuff in Litvijenko's face multiple times. You are telling me an ex-KGB field agent would not notice this??

Something dodgy going on here IMHO.
    The most likely route is in food (he apparently had soup at one point) or in a hot drink. Considering the fatal dose is extremely small, it could easily have been administered in one go (as it also generates a lot of heat, it probably kept his coffee warm too )

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think we have a good chance to know the truth - radiation left traces and by correlating times when he moved around places it might be possible to trace where it all started, ie the point when he was poisoned: I don't know if CCTV is kept for longer than 3 weeks though, but I think it is over 1 month before they get deleted, so, lots of work but fairly good chances given knowledge of approximate time and places where he walked.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambros
    Alpha-particles cannot penetrate skin.
    From the Physics and Chemistry I did when i was doing A-levels I would agree with that. Alpha particles are generally speaking pretty harmless.

The interesting question is how did the assassin manage to get him to consume a radioactive substance without realising? the media has said that they belive it was discharged in an aerosol format, but to do this the assassin would have had to walk up to Litvijenko and spray it in his face as he was breathing it in. It would also have had to be inhaled for a long enough time to ensure a fatal dose was administered. The other option is that the assassin did this at each location where radiation has been found so that he gradually increased the dosage until it was fatal, but then he would have had to spray this stuff in Litvijenko's face multiple times. You are telling me an ex-KGB field agent would not notice this??

Something dodgy going on here IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The stuff is cheap for some hobby like research, but to get dose enough to kill like this will cost a fortune and it is simply not for sale.

Lambros: it's radiation, stupid, it leaks on its own - specifically if it was put onto pages of text he was shown, then when he came to photocopy them he would spread contamination, that stuff can be spread via swet - and if he was feeling ill at the time then it is likely he was sweting pretty hard.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    UK police find radiation in Berezovsky's office building -1

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20061128/56107768.html

This shady ex-kgb guy, with connections to the oligarchs, the mafia, and chechen rebels, the real cream of the Russian underground, seems to have been leaking radiation everywhere he went. Which is somewhat strange since, as the MSM keep reassuring us, alpha-particles cannot penetrate skin. They have pointed out that traces could be detected in his urine. So presumably he spent his last day out in London pissing on the floor everywhere he went.
    Presumably they've been checking the toilets everywhere he went

How much does this stuff cost? According to the wikipedia entry, it's one of the rarest elements on the planet, or you need a nuclear reactor to create it, so it can't be cheap

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I was just pissing by your door....

(with apologies to 'Allo 'Allo)

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    UK police find radiation in Berezovsky's office building -1

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20061128/56107768.html

This shady ex-kgb guy, with connections to the oligarchs, the mafia, and chechen rebels, the real cream of the Russian underground, seems to have been leaking radiation everywhere he went. Which is somewhat strange since, as the MSM keep reassuring us, alpha-particles cannot penetrate skin. They have pointed out that traces could be detected in his urine. So presumably he spent his last day out in London pissing on the floor everywhere he went.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead
    wtf is a psychohistorian?
    One that runs around with a chainsaw, threatening anybody who doesn't agree with his conclusions!!!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    is also something of a gamer and psychohistorian.
    wtf is a psychohistorian?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I do have some knowledge about Russia because my wife is from Ukraine and her grandmother is Russian and we all know what happened in the fake Orange Revolution!
    I.e. you are on the other side from the elected Ukranian government?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Polonium 210 decays to Lead 206, which is stable.

Half life is about 138 days.
    And in the meantime it is one of the most toxic (and carcinogenic) substances known.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Well

This is a major embarresment to the UK. While MI5/6 is running around arresting teenage muslims for supposed terror acts, someone is able to poisen someone with a radioactive substance in the middle of London.... nice.

I am of the opinion that this is a about retribution. I also believe it was done to send a message to the increasingly powerful Russian expat community in the UK to mind their own and that just because they live in the UK, they are not immune from the long arm of the Kremlin.

As ATW says, there was precision involved in this, he was meant to suffer before he died.

As far as a diplomatic indident I am sure that the diplomatic fallout from whatever whoever is being discouraged from revealing is far more damaging than any accusations thrown around the UK media.

As far as public image goes, UK intelligence will not risk being exposed as incompetant, therefore I predict sweeping this event under the carpet after the furore has died down.

I think those that need to know, know who did this and why, and any mudslinging and muck racking will be unpredictable, damaging and possibly fatal to all involved.

If I had to make a predication, I think Litvenko will probably be discredited as then everybody saves face. IMHO anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X