• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Christmas Cake

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christmas Cake"

Collapse

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I find it slightly disturbing that I seem to watch some of the same programmes, SA....

It just shows you have fine taste my lizardy friend

Leave a comment:

• Nipple Clamp
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I find it slightly disturbing that I seem to watch some of the same programmes, SA....
    I get pissed off if I'm watching something like the Sweeney and all the ads are for washing powder and hair curlers etc. Why do they think only women watch it?

OH in "get yer shirt on, George, we've got villains to nick" mode

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    £45 for a 6"x6" Xmas Cake ?

Do me a favour and get thyself down to the Good Food Show.

There were a number of stalls selling "The Ultimate Xmas Cake", the "Best Xmas Cake", the "Most Exclusive Xmas Cake", etc between £7-£12 for the same size.

For £45 I expect a taste sensation beyond tastebud orgasm, otherwise I'm gonna write about how ripped off I am to various websites and the papers.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Cheers Gonzo. I will have a look.

My cake is quite a bit different, and I am not sure of how to measure the demand for it.

Who knows if it is enough for a plan b, but I like the idea of going to farmer's markets and selling them. Don't know about F&M !

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    This is kind of sort of related to my plan b.

Would you pay £45 for a 6x6 Christmas Cake.

http://www.thechristmascake.com/home.html
    I will let you know - Mrs Gonzo has asked me to make a Christmas Cake this year. I think it is probably a bit late to do it properly as I am sure my mum used to make hers at the beginning of November.

Depends how much hassle I find it - I have a suspicion that £45 will seem like a bargain when I am done.

However - that is just me. I am not sure that the market for that sort of stuff would be big enough to support a plan b, then again it might pay to have a look around Harrods and Fortnum and Mason - for all I know the market may well be big enough.

I see that the Christmas Cake ltd first year accounts are available on the Companies House website, so you could pay £1 to find out how well they did.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Place called Hotel Chocolate (Watfor, Milton Keynes, and loads of other places no doubt) do a stunning 85% cocoa chocolate. Anything less than 80% cocoa just isn't bitter enough to be called chocolate IMHO

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I made a christmas pud last year - lovely, and I don't even like christmas pud. Mind you, I think half a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP was probably overkill.

So, £45 for a cake... probably if you made sure it had prestige ingredients (sultanas plucked from the pubic hair of Norwegian virgins etc)

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Yes, from ugly Carol to lovely Billie.

Bones ? Is it horror ? I am not good with horror.

Nah its not horror - its like a chick flick, but in a series, and with dead bodies

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Yes, from ugly Carol to lovely Billie.

Bones ? Is it horror ? I am not good with horror.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Hmm, wonder who the other one was ?

Oh dear, they are so ugly and dumb. I can't believe Chris Evans was married to Carrol pruneface.

Was he? I'm not actualy watching it today - I'm curled up on the sofa watching Bones instead. mmmmmmmmmmm David Boreanas!! mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I voted yes.

And Loose Women rocks!!! Thats the back bone of my day - the only thing that keeps me going until 4pm when the countdown/deal or no deal segment starts!

Hmm, wonder who the other one was ?

Oh dear, they are so ugly and dumb. I can't believe Chris Evans was married to Carrol pruneface.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
    Would I fuck. I make my own... Mind you, with half a bottle of brandy in the cake and two and a half in the chef, it's probably cheaper to buy one...

You make your own?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Hmm, not sure about that one.

Mine has 70% cocoa chocolate, lots of fruit and alcohol...
    70%+ cocoa is no problem as is the alcohol just the overall sugar content. The sugar in the fruit should be the only sweetening agent or if extra sweetening is required maybe an artificial sweetener that can be used for cooking (albeit at lowish temperatures).

I've made similar in the past with pretty good results. There's only so much Thornton's diabetic chocolate one can eat at xmas without generating more methane than a heard of cattle.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Yes, it is a lot, that's what I thought but Christmas and all that.

Who voted 'yes' btw ??

(oh christ 'loose women' has just come on, i think i will go and kill myself.)

I voted yes.

And Loose Women rocks!!! Thats the back bone of my day - the only thing that keeps me going until 4pm when the countdown/deal or no deal segment starts!

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Hmm, not sure about that one.

Mine has 70% cocoa chocolate, lots of fruit and alcohol...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X