• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Prison T&C's

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prison T&C's"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Have we finished with this thread?

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Some people should not go to prison full stop. E.g. Someone who owes money, should not be sent to prison.

People who have committed serious violent crime should go to prison, but we should try to make them better people. I know people who are violent but are not completely bad people, they have learnt to be like that and in most cases they can unlearn. Your idea of the way forward implies that people cannot make mistakes, people do not learn from them, and people who commit crimes are 100% without redemption and should be treated as such. unfortunately that approach doesn't work. We have to punish people but also show them how they should be behaving, some people don't have the ability to work that out for themselves, and if they do many more people have suffered than necessary just out of a need for revenge.
    I agree with some of what you say Baggie but I believe that, for the most part, you would be hard pushed to make better people of very violent criminals. The nature of the crime would suggest that the criminals are incapable of making the important distinction between right and wrong or they can and chose to commit the crime anyway. I think that, if the criminals show a desire to reform - without there being incentives - then they should be assisted but to try to rehabilitate everyone is just an excercise in futility. I also still believe that the aspect of punishment should be primary. I also think that part of the problem these days is that the criminals seem to have more rights than the victims and, if there is no aspect of punishment for the criminal the victim also has a far worse sentence. A violent rapist could be out of his little holiday camp in 3 or 4 years but the victim will have to live with the fear for the rest of their life. I personally would spend far more on victim support than prisoner rehabilitation

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Where did my last post go ?????

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    You are making excuses - at the end of the day everyone has free will ...
    And there my friend is where you go bad wrong ....

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I couldn't resist that one
    Objection sustained

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    Oh my God...you promised
    I couldn't resist that one

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    That was Thatchers doing aswell!
    Oh my God...you promised

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I thought this topic died ages ago!

That was Thatchers doing aswell!

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I thought this topic died ages ago!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    A single will do, I have little capacity for alcohol.
    Then please , at least have a double

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    A single will do, I have little capacity for alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Could you please get me one while you're there, I deserve it.
    A treble?

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Just trying to point out the folly of blame on one side.
    We were looking for valid answers to what is going on in this world

Another G&T please
    Could you please get me one while you're there, I deserve it.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Yes, I am very easily confused, esp. here.
    Slow typing doesn't help.
    Try using two fingers.....I find that helps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X