• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tory secret deal with EU"

Collapse

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most brexiters believe things are -ve. Just a lot less negative than if we had stayed with the EU.
    Then they're idiots and are either blind or in complete denial about the sh*tstorm unfolding before their very eyes.

They can continue to convince themselves it'll all be okay. It's quite cathartic to do that, helps to take the pain of the reality (of brexit) away, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Not really, Maggi is a sauce which you put in stews or your soup. It just tastes like Marmite a bit. A lot of restaurants will have a bottle on the table with the ketchup. I love Marmite me but every German I've tried it on has said it's disgusting (they say the same to pickled eggs as well...strange people)
    This is where I agree with the German people.

Though at uni I did enjoy terrorising Europeans with baked beans....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You mean loads of countries have an equivalent of the disgusting Marmite?
    Not really, Maggi is a sauce which you put in stews or your soup. It just tastes like Marmite a bit. A lot of restaurants will have a bottle on the table with the ketchup. I love Marmite me but every German I've tried it on has said it's disgusting (they say the same to pickled eggs as well...strange people)

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Yup. Bloody copycats. Trying to outdo the Brits again.

Although "Paprykarz Szczecinski" is in a class of its own. Contrary to some Bremainers, mixing it with Marmite and spreading the resulting goo on a croissant is not a good example of how multiculturalism can improve the quality of one's life. (Unless you are constipated.)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Nah, don't think so, for a start it's ******* expensive here plus they have Maggi which tastes much the same

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I hope they do.

UK: 1 tonne
    Germany: 500 Billion tonnes
    Nah, don't think so, for a start it's ******* expensive here plus they have Maggi which tastes much the same

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    As long as the EU doesn't set Marmite consumption quotas for the UK, we're all going to be fine.
    I hope they do.

UK: 1 tonne
    Germany: 500 Billion tonnes

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    As long as the EU doesn't set Marmite consumption quotas for the UK, we're all going to be fine.
    I thought I'd just throw in that it was invented by a German from Darmstadt

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    The EU's own mantra is "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".

So for sure, we can talk money, and Northern Ireland, and the rights of EU citizens already in the UK first. And we can sit there in front of that piece of paper and say "yep, we're happy with that." The EU will say "we're happy with it too".

Then we say "Oh, but there's the small matter of trade. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".

The EU's stance is that they want to discuss their agenda first, but that doesn't mean that said agenda has to be signed before we get to talk about ours. I mean, why on earth would be agree to pay them *anything* if the framework for a trade deal isn't also in place?

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    They do, the Swiss had a referendum and over 50% voted against it, but they can't change it because the EU is bigger,

The UK will also cave in on this as well.

Greenland left the EU to control it's fisheries but actually the EU still has full control. It dictates Greenland's quotas.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    The UK will not get any sort of Free trade or exit deal with the EU as they aren't a country, rather 27 states with a full range of economic and social issues. In the inevitable WTO rules scenario the EU will come off economically much, much worse than the UK. This will ultimately in a few short years lead to the break up and killing of the EU.
    Talk about overstating ones self importance.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The UK will not get any sort of Free trade or exit deal with the EU as they aren't a country, rather 27 states with a full range of economic and social issues. In the inevitable WTO rules scenario the EU will come off economically much, much worse than the UK. This will ultimately in a few short years lead to the break up and killing of the EU.
    The EU states seem remarkably united in their approach to Brexit, unlike the UK states (I assume you mean the EU has 27 states and not the UK). Normally we'd say that England as the biggest by population and economy dominates the union, but the Brexiteers have dismissed that in this thread, so who knows? Maybe now Northern Ireland is dominant, but then they don't seem to be able to form a government, so perhaps it's now Wales.

Either way you could be right about the lack of deal. Thereafter the EU has to deal with 8% of its exports now being under WTO rules, and the UK 45%. So yes of course it is the EU that will be doomed whilst the UK is transformed into a golden utopia with rainbows and unicorns.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    When your successful growth is measured as 1 to 2 percentage points per annum, 2/14ths 14% is a monster hit, also this would be against the prosperous member(s) i.e Germany and France. But having said that so is 20% unemployment and that doesn't seem to register with the EU. Not sure how that would play out with a recession in Germany and France, I would expect that would mark the end of the EU and the Euro.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    OK. What exactly will a 0.1 x UK + 0.9 x EU deal look like?
    I'm serious. How much money? Will freedom of movement be required? What kind of tariffs? What happens to the City? If you think that it is going to be that one-sided, why don't you go on record what it means and then we'll see what happens?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It will reflect their sizes and the "reasonable deal" will 0.1 x UK + 0.9 x EU, as will the UK-US deal.

OK. What exactly will a 0.1 x UK + 0.9 x EU deal look like?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X