• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boris again

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boris again"

Collapse

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I wonder why some politicians have a weird compulsion to use words like "mugwump" that few people have heard of.
    Because it dominants the news agenda for the day. The media lap it up.

Borris calls Corybn a mugwump and it's the lead item. It's all Borris, Borris, Borris on the news. Fake outrage from the Liberals, fake outrage from Labour. It's all about how Corbyn isn't fit to run the country and it brings the focus back to Corbyn's personality rather than Labours policies.

Any Labour MP who tries to defend Corbyn is immediately reminded of his/her own words ( the majority of them being on the record as having said that he's not fit for the role during Labours bitterly fought leadership shambles. )

In the meantime PM May is just out there being calm, assured and standing above the fray. So regardless of your political views, if you just looked at yesterdays' news most people would conculde that May is the better candidate for PM.

If Borris had said : "Corybn is unsuited to by PM" .... that would have got precisely zero air time.

Borris is a skilled media operator.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    The Today Programme on Radio 4 answered my question this morning ( not, sure if they read CUK - but most of the BBC presenters are contractors so they might ).

Basically, they had some historic clips of politicians ( including Churchill ), berating the opposition for failing to build enough houses.

So as a country we've not been building enough housing since 1945.
    We have been building plenty of housing. Just not enough for the population growth. So we either have to agree to build even more(and become more densely populated). Or stop population growth.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    When did we last build enough houses? For as long as I can remember, and unfortunately, I'm going back decades there has been a complaint that we're not building enough.

Yet everywhere I drive I can see houses being built.

The Today Programme on Radio 4 answered my question this morning ( not, sure if they read CUK - but most of the BBC presenters are contractors so they might ).

Basically, they had some historic clips of politicians ( including Churchill ), berating the opposition for failing to build enough houses.

So as a country we've not been building enough housing since 1945.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    'mugwump'? I guess it takes one to know one.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    BBC left out the best line:

Boris Johnson launches attack on 'mutton-headed mugwump' Jeremy Corbyn - ITV News

When Boris is calling you meandering and nonsensical, be very afraid.
    Right wing bias at the BBC?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I wonder why some politicians have a weird compulsion to use words like "mugwump" that few people have heard of.

I assumed it was some Harry Potter character, but apparently it means simply someone who is aloof from politics.
    Boris is trying to show he is educated and in doing so is educating the ignorant public.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

I assumed it was some Harry Potter character, but apparently it means simply someone who is aloof from politics.
    I merely assumed it was some public schoolboy euphemism for a victim of lights out, non-compliant, back door sex.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well with 0.5 million people arriving every year and no housing being built during the New Lie years you can sort of see her point. We aren't building enough houses now though.
    Why can't new arrivals be tasked with building their own first home? After that some of them can continue career in building and sort out rather pathetic situation with housing for in 1st World Country.

Oh wait, that would crash the property prices? And we can't have that, so why whine about shortage?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    How is that new Motability scooter?
    Faster than yours, although your stabilisers must provide a lot of drag.

The price you pay for spreading the load I suppose.

Did you ever get rid of the fishy smell?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well if he does he could always emulate YOU and fook off abroad, thereby contributing nothing into the UK pot.

And then piously sit on his high horse loudly castigating those that ARE actually footing the bill.

I doubt the pittance you get paid qualifies as "footing the bill".
    You're on the wrong forum.
    The one where thick, obese, ex-squaddie security staff discuss how to use their tax credits to get special offers on Iceland doughnuts is further down your favourites list

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well if he does he could always emulate YOU and fook off abroad, thereby contributing nothing into the UK pot.

And then piously sit on his high horse loudly castigating those that ARE actually footing the bill.

How is that new Motability scooter?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Pray you never end up in the situation yourself when all is lost.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's jus crass. You don't know the personal circumstances of each so why judge them on mass? The government first and foremost should provide shelter to those that need it. The whole of society cannot exist in utopia there's always some poor bugger propping up the prosperous. The prosperous should should equally take care of the less fortunate. Pray you never end up in the situation yourself when all is lost.
    All well and good, but where I am I know a solid percentage are 'on the take' just by the number of people on disability living allowance. The figure is one in nine before you ask (oh and one in six in certain areas).

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    original PM is a typical far-right type - just one rung above the bottom of the economy - precarious, angry and venting his anger at those just below him to preserve his dreams of respectability. One of the many tragedies is that he will be among the early victims if the safety nets of free healthcare, child benefit, working tax credits etc. disappear in the state he envisages.
    Ooh you are such a b!tch!

The point I was really trying to make is that you do not solve the problem by housing people who cannot manage to house/look after themselves - you simply make it look like the problem has been solved.

To really help these people you need to understand why they are in the situation they are in and address the underlying root cause.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X