• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Golf: The Masters

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Golf: The Masters"

Collapse

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The one at weekend was factual and not sexist at all. Even by the standards of the persistently offended, it's crap.
    For many of us, Peter Alliss simply is the voice of golf.

I remember the international pro-celebrity golf series that he used to host in the 70s from Gleneagles. It would be the USA headed up by Tom Watson vs the UK with Peter Oosterhuis or Tony Jacklin as captain.

Then there'd be all the golfing celebs of the day; Kenny Lynch, Charlie Drake, Eric Sykes, Brucie while the US had stars like Bing Crosby, Mickey Rooney etc.

Anyway, the entertainment value of the show, aprt fro the golf, was just the banter between Alliss and the stars as they walked down the fairways between shots.

The man has a real talent - would have made a great chat show host.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I think they are trying to erase people like him from the airwaves.

The various comments that he has made that have outraged the usual suspects on Twitter are completely innocuous, e.g. Kitchengate
    The one at weekend was factual and not sexist at all. Even by the standards of the persistently offended, it's crap.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    An absolute nothing throwaway off-mic comment about a skirt that's nearly showing her arse cheeks?

Mr Alliss was brought up in an age of more decorum and commentates on a sport that shows a lot of it. It wasn't as if he'd said something like "have you seen the threpenny bits on that?"
    I think they are trying to erase people like him from the airwaves.

The various comments that he has made that have outraged the usual suspects on Twitter are completely innocuous, e.g. Kitchengate

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Alliss in new sexism row

I'd be disappointed if a man of 86 didn't have something un-pc to say about a girl in a short mini!
    An absolute nothing throwaway off-mic comment about a skirt that's nearly showing her arse cheeks?

Mr Alliss was brought up in an age of more decorum and commentates on a sport that shows a lot of it. It wasn't as if he'd said something like "have you seen the threpenny bits on that?"

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Alliss in new sexism row

I'd be disappointed if a man of 86 didn't have something un-pc to say about a girl in a short mini!

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Despite Hazel fronting the Masters coverage for the last few years you mean?
    Only somebody that GAS would know that though.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Golfers All

task statuses - mismatches. - create mapping.

I don't know how many of you were Watching the action from the Augusta National that was unfolding on our TV screens last night but this was very much the result that golf needed.

Rather than the procession of somewhat anonymous major winners of recent years, we have in Sergio Garcia a win from a big ticket player instead of the whassisface Speiths or whodjamcallit Watsons of this world.

The man with the "magic Spanish hands", is how various commentators are referring to him this morning. In fact, this very fitting epithet made me mindful of the gravelly voiced gipsy trobadour of the 1970s, Manitas de Plata (little hands of silver).

Perhaps Sergio will come to be known as Manitas de Oro?

Either way, muchas felicitaciones a Sergio. Ole!

Just some general observations on the tournament as whole.

Regarding the course itself, I felt the pin positions were overly agressive particularly on holes with a big drop off. Good approach play was frequently punished by what amounted to no more than a lottery.

Overall the behaviour of the galleries was pretty commendable with little of the "get in the hole" boorishness of previous tournaments.
    I also thought the reaction of the crowd to the European leading group during the latter stages was truly heartwarming. Indeed, Sergio sinking his birdie putt at the first play-off hole was a true hands across the ocean moment.

All in all, a great spectacle that surpassed even my high expectations of this verdant cathederal of human endeavour, sportsmanship and technical prowess.

We truly are golfers all.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Congrats to Sergio!!

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Great eagle from Michelson there at the 2nd.
    Well done Lefty

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    One of the things that has crossed my mind this Masters weekend is where are all the big swingers? The big hitters of the ball?

The Woods's and the Els's of this world would have no problem driving 300 yards but the current leader, Fowler, is laying up way, way short of that.

Furthermore, where is the "Ken on the Green" feature this year? I used to enjoy him but looks like he's been done away with.

Poor old Ken.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The truth

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Freddy Freddy Freddy!

57 years old, 2 under par and in contention.

No wonder they call him Fearless Freddy.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    High profile! Really?

I am not sure any of them would "spring" to mind in any context let alone Golf.
    Despite Hazel fronting the Masters coverage for the last few years you mean?

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
    Alice Cooper gets a mention !!! I knew I'd like this site
    Vincent's a 5.5 handicap.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
    Hello Hooray

Leave a comment:

• Hertsseasider
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Siouxsie plays golf? Really?!

Mind you, considering Alice Cooper, Lou Reed and Iggy Pop all teamed up for a pro-celebrity tournament, I can well believe it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X