• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cornwall stuffed, or is it?"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I know the one you mean. It sells draught Leffe Blonde, or at least it used to.
    Took the Mrs and kids to the Haven camp just on the outskirts of Perranporth a few years back.
    Was an interesting wobble back up to the site from the pub.
    The Watering Hole it is called.

Shlurp!!
    It is indeed. Seiners does nice food too at the south end of the beach.
    Proper quintessentially Cornish seaside town.

We've stayed at the park overlooking Crantock Beach just up the coast; stroll into the pubs in the village or straight down the hill on to the beach.

There are some great restaurants along the coast too - Lewinnick Lodge and Bush Pepper at Newquay, Fifteen at Watergate Bay, even Rick Stein's place in Padstow.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    We've been down in September a few times and the weather is usually better. Healey's cider farm is worth a visit near Perranporth, then on to Perranporth itself for an ice cream from Pirran Dairy (you can see them making the ice cream in the back room!). Oh and there's a pub on the beach
    I know the one you mean. It sells draught Leffe Blonde, or at least it used to.
    Took the Mrs and kids to the Haven camp just on the outskirts of Perranporth a few years back.
    Was an interesting wobble back up to the site from the pub.
    The Watering Hole it is called.

Shlurp!!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    We usually have a week down there in the autumn Mrs SB and I.

Big pile of DVDs that we want to catch up on, plenty of real ales and a decent malt whisky and off we go.

If the weather is nice we do the sightseeing bit, and if it is naff we hunker down with the heating on.

Great way to recharge the batteries before the winter sets in.
    We've been down in September a few times and the weather is usually better. Healey's cider farm is worth a visit near Perranporth, then on to Perranporth itself for an ice cream from Pirran Dairy (you can see them making the ice cream in the back room!). Oh and there's a pub on the beach

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Some great days out in Cornwall and that's when it's not a beach day. I need to get another holiday booked.
    We usually have a week down there in the autumn Mrs SB and I.

Big pile of DVDs that we want to catch up on, plenty of real ales and a decent malt whisky and off we go.

If the weather is nice we do the sightseeing bit, and if it is naff we hunker down with the heating on.

Great way to recharge the batteries before the winter sets in.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Indeed it is, went there a couple of years ago with Mrs SB and SB05. Has an underground postbox that is (one of) the deepest postboxes in the country.
    Some great days out in Cornwall and that's when it's not a beach day. I need to get another holiday booked.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Remember exploring Poldark and Tolgus Tin when I was a kid. Happy days.

Poldark Mine at Wendron is still open as a tourist attraction I think.
    Indeed it is, went there a couple of years ago with Mrs SB and SB05. Has an underground postbox that is (one of) the deepest postboxes in the country.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by drob1984 View Post
    That's quite a small number if that's the projected figures of leaving the EU. Its quite an inward looking report as all it mentions is the EU, not the wider world. Huge opportunities for the UK to be a global player again and invest in developing nations, particularly those who need help around the world.

Tap into some of the 320 billion a year trade that Australia does with China and well, the UK will not be worried about 20-30 billion! Need a big focus on primary industries again, lets feed and produce foods and essential items that the growing middle-classes of these developing countries want. Like Poldark, if I had the money, I'd be opening a mine.

Its no wonder so many people in the South-West and old-industrial heartlands (north, wales) voted to leave.
    Remember exploring Poldark and Tolgus Tin when I was a kid. Happy days.

Poldark Mine at Wendron is still open as a tourist attraction I think.

Leave a comment:

• drob1984
    replied
    That's quite a small number if that's the projected figures of leaving the EU. Its quite an inward looking report as all it mentions is the EU, not the wider world. Huge opportunities for the UK to be a global player again and invest in developing nations, particularly those who need help around the world.

Tap into some of the 320 billion a year trade that Australia does with China and well, the UK will not be worried about 20-30 billion! Need a big focus on primary industries again, lets feed and produce foods and essential items that the growing middle-classes of these developing countries want. Like Poldark, if I had the money, I'd be opening a mine.

Its no wonder so many people in the South-West and old-industrial heartlands (north, wales) voted to leave.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    They probably read this report and thought Oh Cr@p!

Sales and Trading
    Restrictions on EU-related activity from their existing UK hubs may lead banks to establish entities
    within the EU. To retain the economies of scale these banks could move other activities that are not
    directly restricted into the EU and away from the UK.

Market Infrastructure
    If clearing portfolios are split or fragment across jurisdictions, this could lead to an increase in the
    cost of clearing arising from a shrinking pool of participants in smaller segmented markets. Due to
    these inefficiencies, some firms could move their clearing out of the UK.

Asset Management
    As sales and trading businesses migrate from the UK into the EU, the benefits of managing
    portfolios from the UK could be eroded, leading some companies to manage a greater portion of
    their assets from within the EU.

Corporate and Specialty Insurance
    A loss of depth in the marketplace due to the loss of EU-related activity might lead some insurance
    firms to relocate outside of the UK.

In a low access scenario, the potential impact to the ecosystem could magnify the long-term impact
    of the UK exiting the EU. We estimate a total of £32-38BN in revenues, 65-75,000 jobs, £18-22BN
    in GVA and £8-10BN in tax receipts per annum are potentially at risk once ecosystem effects are
    accounted for

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by drob1984 View Post
    Cornwall has been stuffed for a long time, at least from a work perspective. This isn't a recent development either and for years, many of us born and bred from down that way have had to move "up country" to find jobs that pay more than £12k a year.

All of the industries closed down - mining, heavy engineering (google Holman Brothers Cornwall), membership of the EU and the doomed CFP allowed France and Spain to dominate fisheries and introduce quotas. It completely destroyed the great fishing ports of Cornwall, which have now become "tourist hotspots".

In the 70's/early 80s the council blocked Cornwall from getting its own complete University (instead just has campuses of Universities in Devon) and recently, for the past 7 years the council have done whatever they can to block Cornwall having a first-class sports stadium for primary sporting events and business events.

The final nail in the common has been the great influx of rich South-East types with their fascist bmw/audi/mercedes cars and obsession with money and turning communities into glorified holiday-home compounds.

Once free of the EU, they need to bring back industry, fishing and mining, with the recent discovery of significant stocks of lithium in Cornwall - with some strategy and action it won't have to rely on subsidies and handouts anymore. Maybe then we can return home and have a "real job".
    Tin is meant to be viable again - they are looking at reopening one of the mines in the Redruth area I believe.

Fishing will make a big difference if they can get Newlyn back up to what it was in its heyday and potentially more Brits holidaying at home; again, back 40 years ago there were far more hotels in towns like Newquay than there are now.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If Cornwall had a university and other large facilities then people from the SE wouldn't have turned the area into holiday compounds.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    South East types litter the whole of Wessex mate.

Leave a comment:

• drob1984
    replied
    Cornwall has been stuffed for a long time, at least from a work perspective. This isn't a recent development either and for years, many of us born and bred from down that way have had to move "up country" to find jobs that pay more than £12k a year.

All of the industries closed down - mining, heavy engineering (google Holman Brothers Cornwall), membership of the EU and the doomed CFP allowed France and Spain to dominate fisheries and introduce quotas. It completely destroyed the great fishing ports of Cornwall, which have now become "tourist hotspots".

In the 70's/early 80s the council blocked Cornwall from getting its own complete University (instead just has campuses of Universities in Devon) and recently, for the past 7 years the council have done whatever they can to block Cornwall having a first-class sports stadium for primary sporting events and business events.

The final nail in the common has been the great influx of rich South-East types with their fascist bmw/audi/mercedes cars and obsession with money and turning communities into glorified holiday-home compounds.

Once free of the EU, they need to bring back industry, fishing and mining, with the recent discovery of significant stocks of lithium in Cornwall - with some strategy and action it won't have to rely on subsidies and handouts anymore. Maybe then we can return home and have a "real job".

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I wonder if any MPs will lose their seats after this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X