• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "bitcoin, Monero, Ripple"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Actually HST with bitcoin is actually something of an oxymoron. One of the flaws of the bitcoin blockchain is a limited transfer rate. That's where Monero steps in.

But I agree traders are having much fun. The gains and risks are extremely fluid.

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Don't forget to pay CGT on those sales....
    When I pass the CGT threshold - I will be first in the queue to hand over my cash money so they can burn it with the rest I give them

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    High-Speed Traders Are Taking Over Bitcoin - Bloomberg News

The cryptocurrency’s market structure ticks all the right boxes: arbitrage opportunities across multiple exchanges, zero transaction costs on Chinese venues that host most of the world’s turnover, round-the-clock trading, and co-location services allowing participants to place their servers right next to those of the exchange. With volumes tracked by Bitcoinity.org surging to a record this month, there’s been no shortage of chances for high-speed traders to turn a profit.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
    I mined myself 3.5 Bitcoins back in the GPU mining days - down to 1 now as I sold them for holidays etc - will probably sell the last one soon whilst the price is high
    I'll buy it off you if you like... €600

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't forget to pay CGT on those sales....

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    I mined myself 3.5 Bitcoins back in the GPU mining days - down to 1 now as I sold them for holidays etc - will probably sell the last one soon whilst the price is high

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    My understanding is it is all to do with 1) Avoiding intermediaries 2) Speed.

Fraud is too easily with current bank accounts, debit cards -
    And it's very hard with bitcoins

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Do you know why they're doing that? Firstly :

You can do that anyway with current technology eg PSD2

Is this all to do with non-repudiation? I could imagine they might want to use this if it was £10m to £10,000m but the amount of fraud on Faster Payments suggests they're not that bothered about small losses.
    My understanding is it is all to do with 1) Avoiding intermediaries 2) Speed.

Fraud is too easily with current bank accounts, debit cards -

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Santander bank UK are already using altcoins to transfer cash across the world in seconds between clients.

It'll never catch on...
    Do you know why they're doing that? Firstly :

Payments of between £10 and £10,000 can be made, around the clock at any time of the day
    The long wait for international payments to be processed is over, funds will appear in the recipients account the next working day
    You can do that anyway with current technology eg PSD2

Is this all to do with non-repudiation? I could imagine they might want to use this if it was £10m to £10,000m but the amount of fraud on Faster Payments suggests they're not that bothered about small losses.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    The other dodgy thing about Bitcoin is there is a cost of transacting. This is because non-trivial computing power is required to run the blockchain. As a result you find bitcoin outfits next to power stations so they can nick the leccy to run their banks of computers a bit like marijuana growers short circuiting your buy-to-let meter. However instead of charging for the transaction costs the bitcoin outfits are allowed to print money (if they are the fastest in any round of updating/currency issuing). If your bank said ' no charges' and kept printing money, you'd find this odd.

If if you don't mind this, there is however some inevitable limit to the amount of bitcoins that can be printed so one wonders what happens when that fateful day arrives - who's going to run the whole system when they can no longer print money?
    The mining aspect is to create scarcity (there's a finite amount of bitcoin).

No one is able to steal leccy and mine coins anymore, the work required is just too much. It's all about bitcoin specific FPGA deployments.

Cost of transacting is realated to speed of being commited to the ledger, which seems logical.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    All transactions will be public, period.

Deanon is trivial - money come in and out of this criminal system in a handful of exchanges, thats where wallet IDs can be mapped to real names/addresses, one hack and Daily Mail will have plenty to write about
    This is just bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Santander bank UK are already using altcoins to transfer cash across the world in seconds between clients.

It'll never catch on...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    It's a hype train that many boarded, tomorrow it will be something different.

Blockchain based "coins" got no chance of replacing "money" other that in niche criminal matters, and that would be the undoing of the whole thing - thry shut down Napster, what do you think, they'll let bitcoin to continue forever?
    Weren't search engines once a 'hype'? Everything is a 'hype' until it takes off but anyway, the stuff I was using blockchain for has nothing to do with 'coins' nor finance...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    If your bank said ' no charges' and kept printing money, you'd find this odd.
    How is this different from the BOE going on a QE splurge? Something that effects us all and we're paying for it by not being able to afford a house.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Huge Ponzi Scheme

The other dodgy thing about Bitcoin is there is a cost of transacting. This is because non-trivial computing power is required to run the blockchain. As a result you find bitcoin outfits next to power stations so they can nick the leccy to run their banks of computers a bit like marijuana growers short circuiting your buy-to-let meter. However instead of charging for the transaction costs the bitcoin outfits are allowed to print money (if they are the fastest in any round of updating/currency issuing). If your bank said ' no charges' and kept printing money, you'd find this odd.

If if you don't mind this, there is however some inevitable limit to the amount of bitcoins that can be printed so one wonders what happens when that fateful day arrives - who's going to run the whole system when they can no longer print money?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X