• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Queue for SC Respondants..."

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Funnily enough, many years ago when she was Health Minister, I went to a work conference that she was invited to, and she made a very decent speech on a complex issue that is typically screwed up. Of course, she may have had a good writer, briefer or whatever, but it was a rare display of ministerial competence. I'm not really sure where the hostility is coming from.
    I don't have any hostility towards her. She's an excellent politician. However, she has a very specific MO with which I completely disagree and it's through that lens that her analysis must be considered. I'm not questioning her capacity to understand technicalities. Rather, I am questioning her use of that understanding. She is, afterall, a politician.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    What an awfully badly draft document by Parliament. It has references to the UK and to Great Britain as if they are the same. This opens a can of worms especially for the NI Parliament (who are bringing separate legal action).

It does seem that technically A50 will need consent of Scotland and NI, but much depends on how far Scotland and NI are willing to take their cases
    The term Britain is frequently used as a synonym for the UK, as distinct from Great Britain (which is sometimes used, incorrectly, as a loose synonym, but wouldn't be appropriate here). Arguably, they should be more careful over terminology, and I'd agree, but they aren't wrong in their application of "Britain" as a shorthand for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They use the term Britain once, and they don't use it to mean GB specifically. I think they understand the scope of the UK Parliament.

More importantly, they understand the scope of treaty negotiation and notification. Thus, your second point is simply incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    This is not £800,000 for memories worth about £2.99 in the bookshop. This is a well establish way of payback for favours done. Someone pays the publisher, the publisher pays Cameron, the end result is a few books go on sale to make the deal seem legitimate.
    I wouldn't doubt that for a moment.
    As I stated in a post earlier they are nearly all at it.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Funnily enough, many years ago when she was Health Minister, I went to a work conference that she was invited to, and she made a very decent speech on a complex issue that is typically screwed up. Of course, she may have had a good writer, briefer or whatever, but it was a rare display of ministerial competence. I'm not really sure where the hostility is coming from.
    If you looked like and were compared to Jimmy Krankie, on a regular basis, you might be angry too

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Firstly, I don't care for DC at all.

However, how Scooter can compare someone selling their memoirs, in a commercial transaction, to someone blatantly stealing from the public purse I really don't know.

Obviously, Salmond does a lot for charidee.

So did Pablo Escobar
    This is not £800,000 for memories worth about £2.99 in the bookshop. This is a well establish way of payback for favours done. Someone pays the publisher, the publisher pays Cameron, the end result is a few books go on sale to make the deal seem legitimate.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. Her MO is to to create an illusion of competence through confidence. Everything of substance is pushed through the lens of Scottish independence. It can be reality-free (invariably is), providing it's supportive of her push for independence.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The Bridgwater Services Travelodge review got taken down. That's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back.
    Was he dogging, or staying in the hotel up there

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Yeh, people set up Trip Advisor accounts and write reviews for him, crazy eh
    The Bridgwater Services Travelodge review got taken down. That's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It is, but Sturgeon doesn't care about that. This is a about building the case for IndyRef II. If they can't have a say in leaving the EU as part of the UK, then they'll push for independence so they can decide for themselves.
    Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. Her MO is to to create an illusion of competence through confidence. Everything of substance is pushed through the lens of Scottish independence. It can be reality-free (invariably is), providing it's supportive of her push for independence.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    She was a lawyer before becoming a politician, she already had enough money.
    Aww bless.

WHAT corruption!!! The criminal!!

Meanwhile...

David Cameron cashes in with £800,000 deal for his memoirs
    Getting paid to write a book. Call the cops!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    In scooterworld, strange things can happen!!
    Yeh, people set up Trip Advisor accounts and write reviews for him, crazy eh

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

However, how Scooter can compare someone selling their memoirs, in a commercial transaction, to someone blatantly stealing from the public purse I really don't know.

So did Pablo Escobar
    In scooterworld, strange things can happen!!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Let's be brutally frank here. If Salmond were to cobble together his memoirs and give a signed copy away, each with a free Lamborghini, he wouldn't get rid of enough to pave the way from his arse to his elbow. Which is a shame, because that route has long needed to be mapped out for him.

So did Pablo Escobar

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Let's be brutally frank here. If Salmond were to cobble together his memoirs and give a signed copy away, each with a free Lamborghini, he wouldn't get rid of enough to pave the way from his arse to his elbow. Which is a shame, because that route has long needed to be mapped out for him.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    WHAT corruption!!! The criminal!!

Meanwhile...

David Cameron cashes in with £800,000 deal for his memoirs
    You really are a total plum. Have a further read, seems it's not the first time either.

Where does it say tax payers money is funding DCs memoirs?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X