• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving through the 'hood."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Have you ever thought that some people might have no free will and that their actions are a result of a neurological problem.? What do we do with these?
    Enforced Hospital (mild version of prison effectively) then - either way they should be isolated from society: liberty stops where rights start - basically don't bother others and noone should bother you, bit if you do bother others (steal stuff for example) then tough sh1t - you have chosen your destiny, if you were sick and could not control yourself, then hospital it is, maybe they will find cure, maybe not - does not matter so long as that persistent offender stops bothering other people.

Leave a comment:

• vista
    replied
    Yep

Driving illegally i.e. no licence, no tax or no insurance should mean that anything that happens when these people drive should be taken as premediated act and maybe we should start stopping people in these cars rather than taking pictures of them - just an idea.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan
    Say you went to prison in Safferland , presuming you are white and a law abiding citizen, you would probably not survive as you will be raped, get AIDS and whether in capitivity or when you are free you will eventually die of AIDS, so based on that, in practical prison sentence is basically a death sentence.

I dont know about you but if that was the case, I would think twice about commiting any crime.
    Hmm, then why are some of the major cities in SA meant to have such high crime rates, particularly some of the worst such as rape and murder etc?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Build more prisons somewhere in Scottish mountains - where it is cold and noone around
    eff off Alexei. Some of us like it with no-one around and a shedload of criminals is the last thing we want there.

PS Cold? Sample Yahoo weather forecasts for Saturday:

Plymouth Max 11 Min 5
    Kyle of Lochalsh Max 12 Min 10

London 11 3
    Inverness 11 8

Bristol 9 0
    Wick 10 8

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Prison

I think prison in the UK cannot be pleasent but the fact remains its a lot better than many other countries

The thing with prison is the purpose. In theory its supposed to rehabilitate , but in creating conditions that would allow for rehabilitation you detract from the severity of the punishment, and I assume this would have the net effect of not dissuading potential criminals from commiting crimes.

Say you went to prison in Safferland , presuming you are white and a law abiding citizen, you would probably not survive as you will be raped, get AIDS and whether in capitivity or when you are free you will eventually die of AIDS, so based on that, in practical prison sentence is basically a death sentence.

I dont know about you but if that was the case, I would think twice about commiting any crime.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Put a nice hole in thier head to let all the bad neurons out

Job done
    Good answer. Just testing.
    We'll have no liberal solutions on this board, thanks ...

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Have you ever thought that some people might have no free will and that their actions are a result of a neurological problem.? What do we do with these?
    Put a nice hole in thier head to let all the bad neurons out

Job done

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I think 3 strikes is American inventionand I am inclined to agree with it - people who break law persistently seal their own fates, they choose to be isolated from society and should spend their life in jail.

Of course there are crimes that should not be punished - say if you smoke hash in privacy of your house and don't bother anyone then in my book it's not a crime, but if you steal stuff to feed your drug habit then you either have to get rid of habit or go to jail.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy
    Bring back Capital Punishment!!!!!!!
    Do you really want this government to have the power to put its citizens to death? Think about that for a few minutes and get back to us.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I wonder how England compares to the G8 countries in this regard? Would not be surprised if we were no. 1.

Even if a driver does admit to killing a pedestrian - they get the equivalent of a peck on the cheek. What's the diff. if they drive off?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy
    No. There can still be mistakes in justice and killing innocent people like this is wrong. And scum criminals will suffer longer with life sentence rather than being given quick painless death.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think 3 strikes is American inventionand I am inclined to agree with it - people who break law persistently seal their own fates, they choose to be isolated from society and should spend their life in jail.

Of course there are crimes that should not be punished - say if you smoke hash in privacy of your house and don't bother anyone then in my book it's not a crime, but if you steal stuff to feed your drug habit then you either have to get rid of habit or go to jail.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I am a liberal - but scumbag who persistently breaks laws and make other peoples life a misery should be locked up in jail. People who make mistake or accident or what not, okay benefit of the doubt can be given, but after 3rd offence it should be very long prison sentence with zero tolerance afterwards.
    So you're not a very liberal liberal. And "3 strikes and you're out". Where have I heard that before...?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am a liberal - but scumbag who persistently breaks laws and make other peoples life a misery should be locked up in jail. People who make mistake or accident or what not, okay benefit of the doubt can be given, but after 3rd offence it should be very long prison sentence with zero tolerance afterwards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X