• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "couple struggling with 200k pa"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I'm OK as I have a niche and in-demand skillset which is largely absent in the country. Doing some interesting work for an OK rate with the opportunity to build a small consultancy if the wind is behind me.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The recession has left rates pretty poor.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Does the market set their rates to compensate for that?
    The recession has left rates pretty poor.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Dividends are taxed in the same way as earned income (more or less). Checkmate.

I'm a contractor BTW.
    I see. Ouch. That'll do it. I suppose you can at least distribute income across years, or do they also have rules on "moneyboxing"?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

I'm a contractor BTW.
    Does the market set their rates to compensate for that?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Do you mean you're actually an employee or that you're caught by legislation? If the latter, what are the rules in Ireland w/r to taxation of "PSCs"? How do they distinguish between small, service-oriented, businesses and other businesses?

I'm a contractor BTW.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    No. I decide what to do and the client decides whether to put up with it or not. But nowadays IR35 is an academic point for me, as in Ireland I have the joy of full PAYE.
    Do you mean you're actually an employee or that you're caught by legislation? If the latter, what are the rules in Ireland w/r to taxation of "PSCs"? How do they distinguish between small, service-oriented, businesses and other businesses?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Ιτ'σ αλλ γρεεκ το με.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    You could always live in Newry.
    Probably not worth it...

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    No. I decide what to do and the client decides whether to put up with it or not. But nowadays IR35 is an academic point for me, as in Ireland I have the joy of full PAYE.
    You could always live in Newry.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that
    Last edited by bobspud; 31 May 2016, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I think you actually mean "I manage my deliverables inside my own time frames and decide how I best use the increased productivity..." After all, if you are having to ask your client if you can go on another holiday you probably needed to work full time to line up for the IR35 investigation.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Or have clients who tolerate you taking lots of holidays.
    I think you actually mean "I manage my deliverables inside my own time frames and decide how I best use the increased productivity..." After all, if you are having to ask your client if you can go on another holiday you probably needed to work full time to line up for the IR35 investigation.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Sounds ideal but you'd need to be in a tech area that has enough demand throughout the year (over the years) or smart enough to learn and re-invent yourself so that you always have skills for which contracts are being offered.
    Or have clients who tolerate you taking lots of holidays.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I don't think the government is going to close the internet in the near future so hopefully I'll be okay.
    But your job may go offshore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X