• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "5 worst places to live 4 in london"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    Our flat management company holds meetings twice a year, we've used rooms at the Prospect of Whitby, Captain Kidd and Dickens inn. Dickens Inn is actually the most convenient but Captain Kidd seems to get chosen more often these days.
    Ah Prospect of Whitby, that's the one ....

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Have you been to the Marquis of Whitby (?) ?
    Our flat management company holds meetings twice a year, we've used rooms at the Prospect of Whitby, Captain Kidd and Dickens Inn. Dickens Inn is actually the most convenient but Captain Kidd seems to get chosen more often these days.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 27 October 2006, 14:44.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Very likely.

I liked the story in the local rag about someone who had a new roof put on his house.

Then made the mistake of going away on holiday.

Guess what wasn't there when he came back...
    Sad really.

My wife is from the valleys and says that they used to be decent, proud little communities before chronic unemployment, alcoholism, drugs and despair took their toll.

Thank you Mrs. T. and the generations of crooks endemic in Welsh local government (Lab.)

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Common
    replied
    SAS I think I've found your cottage in Richmond. I must say I'm very impressed bijou but you can't grumble, location, location,location and all that. The tramps will be so jealous!

http://media.vivastreet.com/v1/3/f/9/photo_1346078

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    If the natives haven't eaten you.

Surprisingly popular with the mountain biking fraternity though.
    Do you think you'd see piles of mysterious, rusting, abandoned mountain bikes lying by the side of the road if you went there? The odd rotting training shoe with something resembling the bleached bones of a human foot inside it?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Otherwise known as Merthyr Tydfil...
    Oh no no no.

Merthyr is beyond the pale.

"recovering after the demise of the steelworks"

Merthyr's steelworks (in any real sense) packed up the 1930s.

How long does it take to recover?

Sadly, it never will. There is no point in having a town stuck at the head of a valley. Steelmaking was a point. Coal mining was a point. They are both long gone now - so there is no point.

It's sad, but inescapable.

Not just Merthyr, practically all of the valleys communities are pointless.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I can't believe that Nottingham was 7th worst. It's actually quite pleasant there as long as you stay away from Clifton and St Annes (the bits they explicitly focused on - sensationalist rubbish).

Not only that, I was in Hackney the other week registering the birth of my second daughter and it's cleaned up a lot recently to the point that it's verging on OK.

They should look at real crap-holes - not big name ones, like Waltham Forest.
    I think these programs are always at least 12 months behind the times. Hackney isn't too bad these days, and, by contrast, Winchester has it fair share of scum and is getting scummier.

Given time, it will all even out and we'll live in a mediocre land of semi-scumminess

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I can't believe that Nottingham was 7th worst. It's actually quite pleasant there as long as you stay away from Clifton and St Annes (the bits they explicitly focused on - sensationalist rubbish).

Not only that, I was in Hackney the other week registering the birth of my second daughter and it's cleaned up a lot recently to the point that it's verging on OK.

They should look at real crap-holes - not big name ones, like Waltham Forest.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Possibility. Wonder if the fall-out will reach the outer parts?
    Off the subject a bit, my wife works for a bio-science company where they had a small explosion in a refrigerator that released a very small amount of low level radio active material, after 3 years of having men in full de-contamination suits trying to clean the building they (or their insurance company) decided they couldn’t take risk so they pulled the building down… it was only 10 years old!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Well the feral chavs are everywhere. In the nice places they just puke rather than stab.
    Re: Feral Chaves

Anyone listen to Desert Island Disks on R4 this morning?

That stupid, arrogant, benighted woman Camila Batmanghelidjh, describes these misery-making scumbags as 'urban warriors'.

Camila B was, of course, born with a mouthful of silver spoons and is universally feted by the BBC and the feminist movement. Sorry but she is a CHUNT!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/...anddiscs.shtml

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    It will all be worthless when a dirty bomb goes off
    Possibility. Wonder if the fall-out will reach the outer parts?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    It will all be worthless when a dirty bomb goes off

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I used to go out in Richmond alot about 10 years ago - great place, top evening food and drink. Doesn't Mick Jagger have a place there?

Now it's full of feral kids puking on alcopops now.

Marlow, Bucks was another lovely place with real charm, rustic pubs with open fires.

Now it's full of feral kids puking on alcopops now. And the only open fires are the ones started in car parks and bins by the aforementioned scrotes.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here...
    Well the feral chavs are everywhere. In the nice places they just puke rather than stab.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I used to go out in Richmond alot about 10 years ago - great place, top evening food and drink. Doesn't Mick Jagger have a place there?

Now it's full of feral kids puking on alcopops now.

Marlow, Bucks was another lovely place with real charm, rustic pubs with open fires.

Now it's full of feral kids puking on alcopops now. And the only open fires are the ones started in car parks and bins by the aforementioned scrotes.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    AssGuru, you are clearly affected by encelephatis. And I can see it's not your fault if your brain goes easily overflow.

Yes, you can. You lose even over the next 25 years.

It can be, of course. But you are clearly overstepping the first rule of thumb that any investor should follow. Spreading your investments to dilute the risk. Now, perhaps you'll be lucky and in 3 or 25 years your house is worth 3 millions. Perhaps, you'll be fired next year and have to go to work for McDonalds for 5 quid an hour and have to sell your house at half of what you paid for it because of the crash. Anything can be, and it might not be your fault (just as everything you have done so far is certainly not your credit, your scarce capacity of exposing your arguments is a clear proof) but just bad luck. One thing we are discussing: you are putting all your pot in one bet and that's what every investor with a little bit of salt would tell you. It's the most risky thing you can do. Now, **** 0ff and do what you want, I can't care less.

He he. And do enjoy your over-leveraged ex-council flat in the East End, won't you?
    Meanwhile I'll be diversifying into other financial instruments while enjoying my mortgage-free house in a nice part of London.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X