• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Italian lakes - what is there to do? Other holiday suggestions welcome!"

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Thanks! Good to know.

^ All booked
    good.

If you are going to visit all the islands you need to plan very well.

You can swim in the Lagoa das Sete Cidades, and I advise to swim also in "Caldeira Velha", have warm water heated by the volcano.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    I'll let you know, we're doing a few days in Verona then taking a hire car up to Lake Garda this coming Bank Hol weekend.
    Verona is very beautiful, and easy to walk around. Park you car and leave it. Gazillion Romeo et Juliet teenagers around you-know-where. The best aperitivi in the bars near the amphitheatre in the evenings.

Garda is seriously overpriced and can get very cold when the wind blows down from the Alps across the water.

Don't skip Mantua in your trip, it is a gem often overlooked by tourists. Fantastic place to visit.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
    Nocturnal sericulture? Couldn't you have done that at home?
    What do you reckon Mrs M's reaction would have been if I'd suggested "You know, spending ones honeymoon abroad is just so last year - let's just stay at home. I'll sort out a takeaway pizza and a couple of nice bottles of Brunello, and you'll hardly notice we're not in Italy."?

My eyes are watering just thinking about it...

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Went to the Azores last year. Great holiday. The kids enjoyed it too, but it's not full of families. The volcanoes really interested them. We did a 4x4 trip around the crater rim. In the rain. With the driver looking over her shoulder to tell us about things. With 50 foot drop on one side and 100 foot drop on the other. Bloody terrifying! Brilliant holiday though. Go Furnas on Sau Miguel and try the Cozidas. It's a stew cooked in volcanic springs. Take your swimmers for the hot pools, really quite odd. It does rain but it's a brilliant place to visit. My kids both want to go back.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWebDev View Post
    I'll let you know, we're doing a few days in Verona then taking a hire car up to Lake Garda this coming Bank Hol weekend.
    Actually, please do. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MrWebDev
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Forgotmylogin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I think you'll find the clue was in the word "honeymoon"...
    Nocturnal sericulture? Couldn't you have done that at home?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    So what is there to actually do? Sounds like catching ferries to see lovely villas and gardens, admire the view, then on to the next one. Even for me that's too dull!
    I think you'll find the clue was in the word "honeymoon"...

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    This might be a shock, but does that look like somewhere where it doesn't rain much?

That can't be MF in Egypt !

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    This might be a shock, but does that look like somewhere where it doesn't rain much?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It rains a fair bit in the Azores, it's like the Lake District with the heating turned on.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Spent the first week of our honeymoon on the west side of Lake Como (Tremezzo Grand Hotel) very beautiful, plenty of villas (Villa Carlotta next door), ferries around the Lake, Bellagio etc. Yes it does get busy but well worth it (not cheap mind).
    So what is there to actually do? Sounds like catching ferries to see lovely villas and gardens, admire the view, then on to the next one. Even for me that's too dull!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Spent the first week of our honeymoon on the west side of Lake Como (Tremezzo Grand Hotel) very beautiful, plenty of villas (Villa Carlotta next door), ferries around the Lake, Bellagio etc. Yes it does get busy but well worth it (not cheap mind).

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Don't forget to apply for your visa

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It rains a fair bit in the Azores, it's like the Lake District with the heating turned on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X