• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit = lower house prices and lower rental"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Maybe the vehicle would figuratively throw up its arms and hand over control to the passenger for the last millisecond.

SNIP

(Also, that's why a vehicle driver or occupant should never beckon pedestrians or cyclists to cross or advance etc, because if some other vehicle appears out of nowhere and hits them, they are entitled to sue the occupant for giving false directions.

The bottom part is interesting - as if I wave someone over I am saying I can see you and I will not knock you over - in no way am I saying it is safe to go and you would have to be a complete muppet to think that is the case..

However as we know common sense and law do not always go hand in hand.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Rents will go up, especially if landlords can't sell.
    No, rents will fall. Landlords will take the hit or have voids.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Rents will go up, especially if landlords can't sell.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Interesting article in focus magazine a month or two back about why your driverless car could choose to kill you.

It was generally all about how it would make a decision when all outcomes result in someone's death.

So for example if you were driving and had the choice of hitting a car with 3 convicts on the run as opposed to hitting a car with 2 normal people in - assuming we had all the info you would choose to hit the car with the three convicts in - however the logic for a driverless car would be to take the choice which would result in the least deaths.....
    Maybe the vehicle would figuratively throw up its arms and hand over control to the passenger for the last millisecond.

(That would at least get the car manufacturer off the hook, technically.)

There was also an interesting thought experiment about a guy who is stood by the points lever on a train track - a train is coming down the track and if he lets it continue on its current course it will kill 5 people - if he flicks the lever it will only kill 1 person death.

So the geezer pulls the lever and is then done for murder of that one person - if he had done nothing he would not be guilty of the murder of the 5 people as he did nothing.

Just made me think that's all!
    Same principle as someone who clears snow from the street outside their house being sueable by someone who slips on the resulting icy surface, whereas they would not be liable had they left the snow alone.

It makes sense, in a perverse sort of way, because by taking action like that one is assuming responsibility for something that would otherwise be an "act of God" or entirely someone else's fault.

Also, that's why a vehicle driver or occupant should never beckon pedestrians or cyclists to cross or advance etc, because if some other vehicle appears out of nowhere and hits them, they are entitled to sue the occupant for giving false directions.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Everything will be lower. but will proportions be better? highly doubht
    Hope so, the wife's a bit of a chubber.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Interesting article in focus magazine a month or two back about why your driverless car could choose to kill you.

It was generally all about how it would make a decision when all outcomes result in someone's death.

So for example if you were driving and had the choice of hitting a car with 3 convicts on the run as opposed to hitting a car with 2 normal people in - assuming we had all the info you would choose to hit the car with the three convicts in - however the logic for a driverless car would be to take the choice which would result in the least deaths.....

There was also an interesting thought experiment about a guy who is stood by the points lever on a train track - a train is coming down the track and if he lets it continue on its current course it will kill 5 people - if he flicks the lever it will only kill 1 person death.

So the geezer pulls the lever and is then done for murder of that one person - if he had done nothing he would not be guilty of the murder of the 5 people as he did nothing.

Just made me think that's all!

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Everything will be lower. but will proportions be better? highly doubht

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Wow, I just wrote almost exactly the same thing in another thread. I promise I didn't steal it from here.
    Carl Jung says "hi!".

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Every time you think they've hit peak fear they come up with another one.

Forget war, famine, pestilence. The ultimate terror for British voters...falling house prices.

Write the report, get it on the BBC!
    Wow, I just wrote almost exactly the same thing in another thread. I promise I didn't steal it from here.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post

Forget war, famine, pestilence. The ultimate terror for British voters...falling house prices.

Not everyone wants prices to keep going up.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    £2K reduction in house prices doesn't help you very much if your wages have fallen £10K.
    F*** off George.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    £2K reduction in house prices doesn't help you very much if your wages have fallen £10K.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    A terrible scenario, a future where more people can afford a decent place to live.
    Especially if they're buying in foreign currency.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A terrible scenario, a future where more people can afford a decent place to live.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X