• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lucky win

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lucky win"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    £75 this month

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    filthy speculants!

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    £50 for me, £50 for the Mrs, and £125 for my eldest!

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    not even 4 weeks and another £25 cheque

the big one is coming

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You won't have a job after Brexit! A loaf of bread with jacket potato from EU would cost £10 mln.

HTH
    I don't have one before Brexit

So that's handy

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    If I win the big one I am giving up work
    You won't have a job after Brexit! A loaf of bread with jacket potato from EU would cost £10 mln.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    If I win the big one I am giving up work

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I think the 1 mill prize was won last month by someone
    sadly, not me

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I refer my Hounorable Friend to the first post -
    Indeed. I think the 1 mill prize was won last month by someone with the minimum investment. Luck is always better than maths.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Very little point unless you can put a large chunk in though (you can find the mathematics of this online w/r to expected returns).
    I refer my Hounorable Friend to the first post -

Premium bonds -

Prize value Winning Bond Holding Area Bond Value Purchased
    £100,000 14KT085181 £20 Lancashire £10 Mar-81

Simon got it?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    For me it works out around 2% per annum BEFORE tax, which is not bad at all, but feckers from this month reducing "prizes", supposedly no need for as much borrowing

Still, one could win £2 mln every month, tax free and without risk to capital... which would be nice!
    I think the expected return is something like 1.3% when the maximum is invested (but this includes the high-valued prizes, so it's not the best measure). It's completely tax free though. As I say, better than most savings accounts as a higher rate tax payer (for those, it's perhaps 0.75%-1% after higher rate tax), but it's pretty marginal, even more so from June, as you say. Very little point unless you can put a large chunk in though (you can find the mathematics of this online w/r to expected returns).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Me too But with the max invested They're pretty worthless. However, when accounting for higher rate tax, unless you benefit from the new savings allowance, savings accounts are even more worthless.
    For me it works out around 2% per annum BEFORE tax, which is not bad at all, but feckers from this month reducing "prizes", supposedly no need for as much borrowing

Still, one could win £2 mln every month, tax free and without risk to capital... which would be nice!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I got £50
    Me too But with the max invested They're pretty worthless. However, when accounting for higher rate tax, unless you benefit from the new savings allowance, savings accounts are even more worthless.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    There is a limit on how much you can invest...

True, but they keep increasing the limit while at the same time reducing the prizes.

It's a trap.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    That's cute. I got my 'winnings' paid direct into PB account for reinvestment. That's how compound interest is supposed to work isn't it?
    There is a limit on how much you can invest...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X