• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Could the Irish vote swing it for Remain?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yeah not sure that's really gonna persuade me or the millions of other people in the UK that voting in is a benefit.

You are voting out, right? 😁
    It's between him and the ballot box.

This is not the Scottish referendum where you can threaten people who want to vote a particular way.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Telegraph had an article saying that everyone should vote remain, otherwise the wealthy would see their property portfolios lose money, in the article it had an online vote for the readers, in or out.

75% out.

Yeah not sure that's really gonna persuade me or the millions of other people in the UK that voting in is a benefit.

You are voting out, right? 😁

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I went to NI with my Dad in the 80s and I remember customs on the border to the ROI was a bored bloke in a hut who waved us through without looking up from his paper. There was a much scarier army checkpoint where the men with machine guns searched the car.

As you drive into the channel tunnel there's a sign that says 'declare any firearms here'. So that's the country safe.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    Schengen zone = free gun trade across Europe from eastern block
    UK got border controls and they should be kept, it could have allowed people with EU Schengen visa into the country without requiring UK visa - checks for guns would have remained the same as they are now (do they check everybody with EU passport driving car in???)

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yup, for UK being out of Schengen zone is a massive loss from Chinese tourists, greedy Govt wants visa revenues to themselves and in the end it costs whole country dearly.
    Schengen zone = free gun trade across Europe from eastern block

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The bank where the railway line used to be now forms the stop bank at the bottom of my brother-in-law's place just down from the Railway Tavern in Fahan. Lovely place, but they're all a little bit "Father Ted" down there.
    There was Fahan, Fahan Jnct and Fahan Pier stations on the L&LSR, on the line to Carndonagh, my main interest was the L&BER, Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway, cracking 4-8-4T's and and 4-8-0 Tender engines, huge for narrow gauge...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Would that have anything to do with the fact that both the RoI and the UK aren't in the Schengen area?
    Yup, for UK being out of Schengen zone is a massive loss from Chinese tourists, greedy Govt wants visa revenues to themselves and in the end it costs whole country dearly.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    You'll have far great checks getting on the Eurostar than you ever will to RoI via land or sea.
    Would that have anything to do with the fact that both the RoI and the UK aren't in the Schengen area?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well from the link that was provided there is still some form of border control
    You'll have far great checks getting on the Eurostar than you ever will to RoI via land or sea.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    So are you saying there have never been any border controls of any sort between Eire and NI since the partition?
    Well from the link that was provided there is still some form of border control:

Since 1997, the Irish government has imposed systematic identity checks on air passengers coming from the United Kingdom and selective checks on sea passengers, and occasional checks on land crossings.
    As far as the land border is concerned, the UK Border Agency indicated that the border would be "lightly controlled...
    Also note:

In common with its unpublished predecessors the 2011 agreement is an unbinding agreement, with its eighth clause stating that the agreement "is not intended to create legally binding obligations, nor to create or confer any right, privilege or benefit on any person or party, private or public"
    So either party can really do what they want...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Bring back the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway, think they ran the buses and coaches after the railway was pulled up. Bleak as fook up in West Donegal isolated.com.
    The bank where the railway line used to be now forms the stop bank at the bottom of my brother-in-law's place just down from the Railway Tavern in Fahan. Lovely place, but they're all a little bit "Father Ted" down there.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Customs control were for movement of goods. The CTA allows free movement of people. The former may be imposed on Brexit but the latter would probably remain. My main concern is whether it would affect my shopping trip to Sainsbury's in Newry when 1/3 off prosecco coincides with 25% off 6 bottles of wine.
    Sometime in the late 70's I remember a trip by coach from Belfast to Buncrana, and the bus being extensively searched on the border by what must have been British Army, but my mind says proper border guards, can't have been looking for arms, wrong way...

Bring back the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway, think they ran the buses and coaches after the railway was pulled up. Bleak as fook up in West Donegal isolated.com.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Telegraph had an article saying that everyone should vote remain, otherwise the wealthy would see their property portfolios lose money, in the article it had an online vote for the readers, in or out.

75% out.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    So are you saying there have never been any border controls of any sort between Eire and NI since the partition?
    Customs control were for movement of goods. The CTA allows free movement of people. The former may be imposed on Brexit but the latter would probably remain. My main concern is whether it would affect my shopping trip to Sainsbury's in Newry when 1/3 off prosecco coincides with 25% off 6 bottles of wine.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Save for those small ones set-up by the army.

I can't see why it should go back to the bad old days, if that's what you're asking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X