• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sir Philip Green must repay £400m or lose knighthood, says MP"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Their "fashion" is so obsolete even 70 year olds won't buy it.
    I buy at M&S...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Philip Green takes the role of BMW in the Rover scandal. I don't think he did anything wrong.
    He picked muppets (probably the cheapest) who could not run the firm for at least 2 years before it crashed?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It's a good character thingy innit? Just how did he get KBE with money channeled to his wife's in Monaco, it was legal, but that sort of thing should have precluded him from getting anything other than tax investigation.
    You just don't get it do you? What you say is the way it ought to happen.

The reality is it is bought. Like DA being poster of the year! WTAF!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    His morality is being questioned, in order to make a valid claim for his KBE? The moral maze is never straightforward... 🎖
    It's a good character thingy innit? Just how did he get KBE with money channeled to his wife's in Monaco, it was legal, but that sort of thing should have precluded him from getting anything other than tax investigation.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    So 90% of people on this site who take divis from their profitable companies need quotes around the "legal"?
    Provided the pension payments are up to date, then they do not.

The question is whether the pension payments were up to date. And they look like they were.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Evidence for what?

I've got the flaming torch ready to light.

After all, everything he & the next bunch did was "legal".
    So 90% of people on this site who take divis from their profitable companies need quotes around the "legal"?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Disappointing. I didn't have you down as a non-analytic knee-jerk follower.
    I can live with your disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Of course he didn't. Fine, upstanding chap that he is.
    I resent very strongly those who get wealth for doing nothing. But Philip Green is not one of those. He took money out when the business was doing well. A pity he could not work to turn it around instead of selling it. But that is his choice.

The UK has to encourage job creators and those who work hard. The feckless(typified by bankers) are another story.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Of course he didn't. Fine, upstanding chap that he is.
    You got any evidence that he isn't or just a "feeling" that makes you want to join the pitchfork crowd?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Planned obsolescence.

boobs that are only suppose to last one season.
    That's the way I treat my wives.....

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Planned obsolescence.

They want you to buy a new suit every year or so. Like with shoes that aren't suppose to last more than 3 months and boots that are only suppose to last one season.
    I think there are three main phases of a mans suit.

11 - 21 bought for weddings light weigh and won't stand up to more than once a month use. - Top shop and Burtons were good at this in their day.
    20 - 30 Gets abused and worn in an office - Marks and Spencer were very good at this.
    30 + thats what a tailor is there for.

All three segments fit the buy one or two suits a year model. However if you are selling crap in the 11-21 segment while trying to charge 30+ money you are going to come unstuck and £5-600 will get you a bespoke suite if you know where to look. I have at least one of mine that is 10 years old and still looks new it hasn't stopped me buying more suits its just that it lasts properly.

BHS and Austin Reeds both suffered from quality / price issues
    Last edited by bobspud; 27 April 2016, 08:46.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It stinks worse than BP's gimp suit.
    Disappointing. I didn't have you down as a non-analytic knee-jerk follower.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Yes thats because they stopped making decent garments and followed the rest of the market down the tulip suit plug hole while trying to charge a premium for them.
    There isn't a single quality retailer that offers a good suit these days.
    Planned obsolescence.

They want you to buy a new suit every year or so. Like with shoes that aren't suppose to last more than 3 months and boots that are only suppose to last one season.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Not another one, surely?
    Yep on "fashion" and homeware.

Their "fashion" is so obsolete even 70 year olds won't buy it.

Their homeware offerings are over priced for what they are.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    So how far back should you be forced to give up dividends? BP lost $4.1bn last year, does that mean I have to give all my dividends back?

The dividends were paid in good faith, at a time where the company was making money and covered its pension liability with a surplus, by all means take him to count for the bad deal in selling the company to a bunch of eejits, but don't penalise the man for making hay while the sun shined.
    Bob Dudley is under a lot of shareholder scrutiny for his pay rise.

Philip Green takes the role of BMW in the Rover scandal. I don't think he did anything wrong.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X