• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sticky problem with agent."

Collapse

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    rib01,

As others have indicated the agency will have covered themselves with the client and it would be impractical to expect to bypass them.

But

What I did once (for different but justifiable reason) was to ask the client to negotiate with the agency a buy out price whereby the client pays a one off fee to the agency. If the price is right (given the initial contract term i.e 3 months) you can then pay this fee back to the client by reducing your rate. Remember your direct rate should be a tad under the rate what the client would have been paying the agency.

Provided the buy out cost is not exhorbitant it does work. The client ending up not paying anymore over the term.

Go for it - ask the client.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    He's talking threaded.

Oh yeah, actually I forgot, there was a thing at the Xmas party wasnt there. I wasnt actually there but two guys who had been working for me on a major project had a go at the Sales Director & IT Director, saying how their interference could sink the whole company.

Couple of gutless wonders who thought my two guys didnt have their own ideas and that it must have been up to me. Which it wasnt.

Where is that company now Mordac?
    I never said you were there.
    I hear the company in question have moved to a bedsit in Bloomsbury.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Ask yourself this question.

If someone has shown themself to be someone who thought that contractual obligations were a minor inconvenience that could be ignored?

would you want a direct contract with them.

tim

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "Yeah, right. Who relies on who in this game??"

Plenty more contractors, only one role.........

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by rib01
    Yeah, right. Who relies on who in this game??
    Well, I HATE agents. Hate hate hate hate hate them. As I think we all do.
    But most companies are no better. The agent "could" place you again in the future, and if the company are wanting to scrimp and save by not paying the agency a fee, then they're not a very reliable company are they?

Thats what ths is about really isn't it? The company want to save cash, and you're after a slightly higher rate?

If you do genuinely just hate the agency, what reasons have you got? And surely you should be warning all of us about them??

I reckon (and I'm not a lawyer, so I may be wrong) but I reckon the agency puts forward your company, not you. (If you're ltd company obviously). So you could maybe get round it by closing your company and openning another one?

Seems like a bit of a clart on though.

Leave a comment:

• rib01
    replied
    Yeah, right. Who relies on who in this game??

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Some of the contractors on here are amazing.

You would have never found this role on your own.
    The client would never have found you.

The agent introduced you.

Think of his children man!!! You are taking Champagne and Caviar straight from his childrens mouths at their private schools!!! How the other children will laugh at them.

You B@STARD.

Leave a comment:

• rib01
    replied
    "interviewed" then! for the sake of typing..

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    i/viewed?

WTF?

Leave a comment:

• rib01
    replied
    OK, here's another scenario! If the client filled the position that I was originally i/viewed for, then decided they needed someone else, so subsequently got back in touch with me directly, would that put a different perspective on things?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    He's talking threaded.

Oh yeah, actually I forgot, there was a thing at the Xmas party wasnt there. I wasnt actually there but two guys who had been working for me on a major project had a go at the Sales Director & IT Director, saying how their interference could sink the whole company.

Couple of gutless wonders who thought my two guys didnt have their own ideas and that it must have been up to me. Which it wasnt.

Where is that company now Mordac?

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    You were a permie, sacked after an unseemly incident at the staff Xmas party. Would you like me to refresh your memory even further?
    Spill the beans Mordac .. what did our Thai tat touter get up to?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by rib01
    It's contract, not permie, and there is no problem at the moment. I'm just wondering if a problem could arise in due course. If the agent doesn't find out then I guess all will be ok?
    Yes, a problem could arise in due course. The agency commission will be around 20% of your salary, so you work it out. In reality they'll only find out if someone tells them, or if they already suspect and do a bit of digging (e.g. ring up the receptionist and ask to be put through to you).

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Who is this Mordac? The Agency police?

Newbie be wary of contractors bearing gifts!!!
    You know who I am, we used to work at the same site, remember? I was The Borrower, who nicked all your test kit. You were a permie, sacked after an unseemly incident at the staff Xmas party. Would you like me to refresh your memory even further?

Leave a comment:

• rib01
    replied
    It's contract, not permie, and there is no problem at the moment. I'm just wondering if a problem could arise in due course. If the agent doesn't find out then I guess all will be ok?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X