• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Career earnings total"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Bartender, £3.01 an hour for a 65 hour week (but it included live-in accommodation. Well, a single bed in a cupboard on the fifth floor)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Not what I've earnt but bad paying jobs I have once done are,

1. Pot washer at hotel : £2.25 an month
    2. Farm hand moving pooh : £2.00 an month
    3. Shelf stacker at Co-op: £2:75 an month
    4. Waiter : £3 an month
    5. Factory worker, packing light bulbs : £90 a year
    6. Paper round : £7 a quarter !

AtW

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Ive done a bit of retailing, cleaning buses, office cleaner, storeman etc.

Anything to get by. Sign on!!! Never NEVER!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    Not what I've earnt but bad paying jobs I have once done are,

1. Pot washer at hotel : £2.25 an hour
    2. Farm hand moving pooh : £2.00 an hour
    3. Shelf stacker at Co-op: £2:75 an hour
    4. Waiter : £3 an hour
    5. Factory worker, packing light bulbs : £90 a week
    6. Paper round : £7 a week !

First proper job £10.5k in 1998.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I've averaged 63K a year over 17 years contracting. I've probably had the equivalent of 3 full years off work during that time, almost all of it in the last five years.

My worst year as a contractor was 1991, when I earned 24K, and my best was 2001, when I earned 108K.

Add in estimates of pre-contracting salary during nearly three years of permiedom takes my life-time earnings to just over 1100K over 20 years, bring my career average down to 56K.

(Edited to take out unnecessary VAT adjustments - it turns out all my records exclude VAT by default.)
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 18 October 2006, 09:37.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    a coupple and some irons in the fire......

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    plan b's are the way forward

hands up if you have one

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Fair enough AtW, I will give you that one, thought you would have a better understanding of real poverty than any of the pampered souls on here.
    So it looks like people don't know (how can you not keep track ?) or it is less than you expect (easier to think about current/best paid job, forget crap ones + gaps) or don't want to say, which is fair enough !
    Point is, it's possible but not easy to sustain big bucks for ya common or garden contractor over a 40yr career, that's why I think a credible plan B needs to be a priority when the money is rolling in.
    Your reasonably bright permie in another business area (i.e. not IT) can expect a gradual but consistent climb up wage/benefit scales and over a career come out just as well overall. This isn't always the case of course but looks to be for many of the people I know.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Gentlemen,

this thread is in bad taste, I suggest to edit the posts to contain different content.

Fools.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    You forgot to adjust for inflation. I started on 15k 11 years ago, which is probably ~24k in today's money. Which means, adjusting for inflation, I'll pass the cool mill mark sometime next year. Yet my net worth is nowhere near that amount.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    How much have I earnt? About a tenner. How much have I been paid, rather more.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    In the 12 years I have worked. I would assume its close to 750k/800k, including a few years on crap money.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I can't be arsed to work it all out. But, my first proper job (permie) paid £7,500 a year. Three years ago I made that with an extra 0 on the end.

The last 2 years have not been as profitable but they have been invested in my get out of working plan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Don't know. Spent it all on wine and women (not much into songs). The rest I wasted.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Don't be a pig luke - a lot of people in this country barely earn enough to go on holidays once a year, no need to flash your big money earnings.

Don't know if this was a joke or serious post, but it made me laugh!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X