• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Star Wars : The Force Awakens (contains spoilers)"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post

And why does he wear the mask anyway? No reason. Another absurdity which the viewer must strain to ignore. .
    He's wanted by HMR&C over late VAT payments on the death star. He claimed it was a new build when it was clearly a renovation project.

PS. Silly film with daft plot cashing in on a franchise.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I thought it was pretty good that he took his mask off unexpectedly. Didn't see that coming. But I agree, such a young villain is hard to believe in. It is also hard to believe that a 20 year old would be in senior military command. (The actor is actually about 32 but looked about 20).

And why does he wear the mask anyway? No reason. Another absurdity which the viewer must strain to ignore. Still thought the film was good though.

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My daughter said the entire cinema erupted with laughter when the bad guy was revealed. Far too pretty.
    I thought the bad guy looked quite goofy with a big long face, long ear lobes and a big nose .. reminded me of a young Cher if she was male.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by utopiaplanitia View Post
    Just thought it was a rehash of the best elements of the first original 3 films
    My thoughts exactly.

EDIT: plus Watto's scrapyard

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    True - although the new Star Trek movies are supposed to be remakes - the whole alternate timeline thing is to stop the die hard fanbois from getting into too much of a hissy fit - they are remakes.
    Yes. And it looks after the new Wrath of Khan, that the timelines have diverged sufficiently now that there shouldnt be any re-hashes.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Han was an "assist" in the MF against DS1 - to allow Luke to make the killer shot.

It was Lando Calrissian that piloted the MF that delivered the killer shot against DS2

It was Lando? Excellent. Winner of the cool Olympics - and ds2 destroyer.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    JJ did the same thing with the new Star Trek movies. I was halfway through Wrath of Khan (see... i can't even remember what the new version was called) thinking "those cheeky *****! This cost me £11.".
    True - although the new Star Trek movies are supposed to be remakes - the whole alternate timeline thing is to stop the die hard fanbois from getting into too much of a hissy fit - they are remakes.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    He used the MF to enable the killing shot on death star 1. On death star 2 I can't remember, but I think a broadly similar thing happened.
    Han was an "assist" in the MF against DS1 - to allow Luke to make the killer shot.

It was Lando Calrissian that piloted the MF that delivered the killer shot against DS2

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Han didn't use it to blow up any death stars.
    He used the MF to enable the killing shot on death star 1. On death star 2 I can't remember, but I think a broadly similar thing happened.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Also Rey is a better at flying the Millennium Falcon that Han, despite the fact that Han has his own MF, has been flying it for 35 years and used it to blowup 2 death stars.
    Han didn't use it to blow up any death stars.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Saw it last night - an enjoyable watch, but it was basically the same plot as the original movie. Starts on a desert world, a droid containing a secret needing to get to the rebel alliance, a young person exhibiting exceptional raw talent not knowing who his (her) parents are - embarking on a voyage of discovery, a big bad super weapon blowing up a planet and turning it's aim to the rebel base before it's destroyed at the last minute due to a vulnerability - the list goes on.

I then read some of the more critical reviews - and I experienced the same sinking feeling as most did - at the same point. At the rebel base when they brought up the plans of the Death Star (mark 3) and talked about it's vulnerability. That's the point in the movie when I thought to myself - this the same bloody movie I watched 30 odd years ago

If they had removed Hans and Leia from the script, they could have billed it as a remake, not a sequel.
    JJ did the same thing with the new Star Trek movies. I was halfway through Wrath of Khan (see... i can't even remember what the new version was called) thinking "those cheeky *****! This cost me £11.".

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Is it me or did Kylo Ren sound a lot like Anton Chigurh from No country for old men?
    Yes I thought he sounded a lot like Javier Bardem aka Silva from Skyfall aka Anton Chigurh

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Kylo Ren was good, especially his creepy voice.
    Is it me or did Kylo Ren sound a lot like Anton Chigurh from No country for old men?

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Watched it the other night. Enjoyed it but was also disappointed that plot was almost identical. I hadn't seen or heard any spoilers before and was half expecting the First Order to destroy the Rebel planets leaving Fin, Rey and Chewie to find Luke and take it from there in the next film.

As for some of the Characters - Kylo is nothing more than an adolescent and is far from the finished product in terms of control of the force - the character even admits he feels the light side pulling him. I suspect the real power and villain is the General, who prefers to take children from their families and turn them into warriors rather than use a clone army. He also stands up to Kylo and has the 1-on-1 with the Great Leader at the end.

Rey has survived on her own scavenging parts from crashed star destroyers, she will have learnt to look after herself in that time. So being able to beat up a couple of knuckle-draggers wouldn't be too difficult for her. Yes she is obviously related to Skywalker and therefore Kylo, sister or cousin is the question. As for her sudden use of the force, She did have the experience with Luke's light sabre and Kylo tried to have a wander round here mind and got far more than he bargained for.

Anyway being far too geeky and over analysing

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Saw it last night - an enjoyable watch, but it was basically the same plot as the original movie. Starts on a desert world, a droid containing a secret needing to get to the rebel alliance, a young person exhibiting exceptional raw talent not knowing who his (her) parents are - embarking on a voyage of discovery, a big bad super weapon blowing up a planet and turning it's aim to the rebel base before it's destroyed at the last minute due to a vulnerability - the list goes on.

I then read some of the more critical reviews - and I experienced the same sinking feeling as most did - at the same point. At the rebel base when they brought up the plans of the Death Star (mark 3) and talked about it's vulnerability. That's the point in the movie when I thought to myself - this the same bloody movie I watched 30 odd years ago

If they had removed Hans and Leia from the script, they could have billed it as a remake, not a sequel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X