• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stop the world!! The US raises interest rates!"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    GBP is tanking (1.487 now) - excellent news for expoters
    Yep, it's like a mini boom every day

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    GBP is tanking (1.487 now) - excellent news for expoters

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    This lot is likely to agree... for now.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Interest rate rise means all is fine. Financial crisis averted. We are saved.
    I never knew what all the fuss was about.

Saved

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Take Comfort - Always Somebody Worse Off Than You

Great news.

I'd recently moved most of my cash into a SIPP, so I won't get the benefit of any interest rises and my SIPP had already lost £4000 before yesterday's news. I daren't look now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    FTFY

FOOK!

DOOMED!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Token?

US Fed rates go up 100%!!!!

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Which of these statements are true:

Banks to immediately pass on rise to their mortgage holders.

Banks to immediately pass on rise to their savers.
    Neither.

Correct one is - Bankers to immediately increase their own bonuses.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Just means they'll target a range between 0.25 and 0.5%. Doesn't mean they'll actually hit it. Token increase, though.
    Token?

US Fed rates go up 50%!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    If they still needed deposits to extend credit, they might have had an incentive to push up rates, but they really don't need them that much anymore, with central banks to provide the 'reserves'. So there is very limited incentive to increase rates paid on savings accounts.

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    This is an interesting point and definitely something to watch. Target is the keyword. It makes sense that they can do this by increasing the overnight reverse repo and interest on excess reserves, but who really knows. For one, this is transmitted through traditional banks that park their money with the Fed. The issue is that QE has scuppered the traditional mechanisms and, even with the old mechanisms, there were bumps in transmission (especially during the crisis).
    Yup, although I would hesitate to use the word "market" in conjunction with anything the Fed does, it is essentially a very opaque auction process. Targeting a range between 0.25 and 0.5% is hardly going to give them much leeway when another "liquidity crisis" hits, so we'll no doubt see Japan style QE if and when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yeah, all banks immediately increased their prime rates but left deposit rates untouched Awash with cash.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Banks to immediately pass on full rise to their mortgage holders.

Banks to immediately pass on full rise to their savers.
    I think you find...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Just means they'll target a range between 0.25 and 0.5%. Doesn't mean they'll actually hit it. Token increase, though.
    This is an interesting point and definitely something to watch. Target is the keyword. It makes sense that they can do this by increasing the overnight reverse repo and interest on excess reserves, but who really knows. For one, this is transmitted through traditional banks that park their money with the Fed. The issue is that QE has scuppered the traditional mechanisms and, even with the old mechanisms, there were bumps in transmission (especially during the crisis).

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied

Banks to immediately pass on rise to their mortgage holders.

Banks to immediately pass on rise to their savers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X