• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is there anything more daft and pointless than a secure wheel nut?"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    All that proves is that stuff is stolen to order. I suppose they were fortunate the thieves didnt steal the whole car and strip it later.
    Looks like the Poles have come up with a new method

The black car was stolen in Stockport, Greater Manchester, and found in the back of the van 300 miles away in Dover, Kent.

Customs officials at the Port of Dover discovered the van on Monday.

Inspector Neil Cook from Greater Manchester Police said: 'It was picked up as it was going through Dover as it seemed overweight.

'When they checked they found the car in there cut in two.'

Detectives discovered it had been stolen from the Stockport home in a burglary seven days earlier.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    the in thing now is these posh dashboards

a friend from Dusseldorf bought a new X5 in the summer and four weeks later thieves stole the dashboard

had a new one installed on the insurance, it cost 20,000 euros

a lot of cables in there to figure out

and he had to wait four weeks !

Milan.
    All that proves is that stuff is stolen to order. I suppose they were fortunate the thieves didnt steal the whole car and strip it later.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    To be brutally honest if you are too thick to understand how locking wheel nuts work, and take care of your key, then you are too thick to be driving.
    I'm not too thick to understand how they work - It's easy to understand how they work. I just didn't know they existed!

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Jag had a puncture a year or so ago, and the RAC guy replaced the wheel.

One way or another, I later lost the spanner or thingummy jig that allows the locking nut to be removed, not realising its significance, or even that there was such a thing as a locking nut!

Had second puncture more recently, at which the RAC guy, on enquiring where the thingummy was and being told it had been lost, said not to worry, and used a chisel to whip off the supposedly secure locking nut in a matter of seconds.

Now the garage doing the car's service and MOT are saying they are having big problems getting the wheels off, on account of not having this blasted wing nut thing!

So in short, it is trivial to get off with a chisel, if you know what you are doing (which any serious carjacker or wheeljacker presumably does). But for any other purpose it is nothing but a liability!

And what's the betting if I phone Jaguar and ask for a replacement, they will say I need four brand new wheels, or even a new car?!
    To be brutally honest if you are too thick to understand how locking wheel nuts work, and take care of your key, then you are too thick to be driving. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but they add enough hassle and a little bit extra time of messing around to make them pass onto the next car in many situations where they may get disturbed.

WTF do you do for a living if you cannot work this simple common sense out.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    the in thing now is these posh dashboards

a friend from Dusseldorf bought a new X5 in the summer and four weeks later thieves stole the dashboard

had a new one installed on the insurance, it cost 20,000 euros

a lot of cables in there to figure out

and he had to wait four weeks !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    I think they hark back to the days when alloy wheels were new and the 'in thing', and people would wake up to find their car propped up on bricks minus the alloys.

I think that MO of theft has fallen out of favour of late, but with some wheel and tyre combinations now costing a few £'000's I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a comeback, possibly perpetuated by the metal collecting elements of society that travel once every few years between patches of hard standing wasteground.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Only the other day I saw Vauxhall, Ford, Honda, Kia and other drivers all change lanes on the motorway without giving a signal (a moving traffic offence in itself).
    If all the lanes next to you are free and there is a massive distance between you and the vehicles around you then who are you signalling for?

There is a difference between this and pulling out slowly, signalling just in front of a vehicle doing 70mph so they have to brake because you can't work out the lorry/van in front of you is limited which is why the distance between you has got smaller.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Huh?! Is that some kind of wheel nut thread, or are you talking about this CUK thread?
    Shut down a day early have we?

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Is there anything more daft and pointless than a secure wheel nut?

I had to get towed home after getting a flat because my then wife had removed the locking wheel nut thingy from the glove box and tucked it in a kitchen drawer "for safe-keeping".

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Get a crappy old van. Nobody going to steel my wheels.

PS If my little van should happen to read this, I am just joking, I love you.
    Xog,

is the Maestro van still on the road ? Or has it been upgraded ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am with Clarkson on the Jaaaag thing.

Driven by golf playing bores.

They should be shot. Once we have finished shooting Audi and BMW drivers.
    Only the other day I saw Vauxhall, Ford, Honda, Kia and other drivers all change lanes on the motorway without giving a signal (a moving traffic offence in itself).

Almost daily, I see Ford, Nissan, Vauxhall and Citroen etc drivers (oh, dont start me on white van man and wagon drivers!) cut others up on dual carriageways and motorways.

Yes, there are some twunt BMW, Audi and MB drivers about but the plebs driving around in their plebmobiles are more numerous and every bit worse.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    The AA man used a chisel!? WTF!?

You can buy a wheel locknut removal tool for about £29 IIRC. Then you just need to buy either aftermarket locking wheel nuts or from the dealer.

Laser Locking Wheel Nut Remover
    Or for around the same price -
    Irwin Bolt Grip Nut Remover Expansion Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Er, no. Mercs are the ideal run over people at pedestrian crossing vehicles due to the aiming tool available at the front of the car
    Not all have that now.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So you are only safe if you have a Merc cos you stop for people at zebra crossings?
    Er, no. Mercs are the ideal run over people at pedestrian crossing vehicles due to the aiming tool available at the front of the car

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am with Clarkson on the Jaaaag thing.

Driven by golf playing bores.

They should be shot. Once we have finished shooting Audi and BMW drivers.
    So you are only safe if you have a Merc cos you stop for people at zebra crossings?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X