• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bye Bye Torygraph

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bye Bye Torygraph"

Collapse

• 56samba
    replied
    +1 for the FT, and ft.com. Weekend FT is also a great read, and their Alphaville blog is free to read I believe.
    Markets Live chat very entertaining and informative, 11. am every weekday.

disclaimer: contracted at the FT for a while, but also believe in the product.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The Economist has to appeal to a wider audience than just those in the UK.
    True dat!

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    I'd be surprised if you agreed with everything it said. I certainly don't. Still I enjoy it. It's got a good range of subjects and covers them to a deeper degree than most other publications.

Have you found anything better to subscribe to?
    To be honest I haven't. They are very good for news around the world (and business I suppose).

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    That's how we roll.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Jesus! Some people must be real hard right-wingers if they think the torygraph was leaning to the left!!

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I'd be surprised if you agreed with everything it said. I certainly don't. Still I enjoy it. It's got a good range of subjects and covers them to a deeper degree than most other publications.

I think the FT is better in that respect, but it's a lot pricier, i.e. double the price. But why should a contractor be worrying about that?

Personally, I like the website I mentioned earlier for economic analysis, and it is free and the authors write on a broad range of topics, but obviously isn't specific to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Breitbart for me, but then I'm slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.
    I like Dellers when he's not banging on about global warming.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    I cancelled my subscription to the economist recently (it still allows me to download the mag each week). Their opinions just come across as too 6th form-y for my liking with no real understanding of how the world works.

A recent piece hailed F. Merkel's great statemanship in allowing 800,000 economic migrants to go and live there.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I cancelled my subscription to the economist recently (it still allows me to download the mag each week). Their opinions just come across as too 6th form-y for my liking with no real understanding of how the world works.
    A quick Google revealed the average reading age in this country is that of a 9 year old, with apparently Guardian readers having a reading age of 14.

A recent piece hailed F. Merkel's great statemanship in allowing 800,000 economic migrants to go and live there.
    The Economist has to appeal to a wider audience than just those in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Breitbart for me, but then I'm slightly to the right of Attila the Hun.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    I subscribe to the FT and the Economist. That's more than enough news for me.

Really enjoy the Economist. The articles are in-depth and better still it comes with an audio downloadable version so you can listen to the entire magazine.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Torygraph is the new Daily Fail.
    Absolutely this.

As ZL suggests, the FT is pretty good overall and the articles aren't so overtly biased. I scan all the papers, but I tend to read the FT articles in full.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I always liked the idea of a paper having a columnist from the other side of the fence but the Telegraph has more than its fair share of disgruntled Blairites and Cameron apologists .

Ultimately, though, they all spout the establishment line & I'm more likley to be reading a paper for other reasons than reading the news, e.g. doing the crossword.

That's why I always get the Indy on Saturday. Love the picture quiz in the magazine section.
    It's exactly that. AEP, for instance, often has pieces I strongly disagree with but which at least contain well thought out arguments and information. It's more the amount of inconsequential, politically opinionated fluff, often masquerading as serious articles. Plus, the obsession with Labour also grows dull.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Great idea, find a newspaper that tells you what you want to hear.
    I always liked the idea of a paper having a columnist from the other side of the fence but the Telegraph has more than its fair share of disgruntled Blairites and Cameron apologists .

Ultimately, though, they all spout the establishment line & I'm more likley to be reading a paper for other reasons than reading the news, e.g. doing the crossword.

That's why I always get the Indy on Saturday. Love the picture quiz in the magazine section.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I've been tempted to try the FT, as I've heard its quality is better than most of the mainstream journos. Doesn't come free, though. As much as I like some Torygraph writers, it's as you say, a lot more sensationalist crap these days, some left wing, some right wing, all of it a waste of time.

I tend to avail myself of David Stockman's blog for economic analysis, as his own stuff is great, and he syndicates a lot of other writers, too.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 30 November 2015, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X