• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do they get away with it?"

Collapse

• TheLordDave
    replied
    It's a rubbish article. The reason they paid so little was that they paid the vast majority of UK profit out as salary and bonus. Hector will have taken more tax from that than from any corporation tax due.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Article says they made a £28m loss, so why are they paying any CT?
    Doesn't add up does it...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    This is where I have a problem with this. If Facebook did only make so small a profit on their UK earnings that their tax bill is this small then fine.

However if they did not and they are another huge corp engaging in government facilitated massive tax avoidance that the likes of us are expected to subsidise then yes this needs to be addressed - by my mate Jezza in PMQs.

No more Facebook advertising for me!
    Article says they made a £28m loss, so why are they paying any CT?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Tax avoidance by large corporations is kind of an industry in its own right. The corps are the customers, the big 4 consultancies the suppliers, and the government provides the legal framework, and occasionally legal havens (guernsey, cayman islands etc) to make it all work. The government also ensures that HMRC keep the focus on the little people while turning a blind eye to the corps.
    This is where I have a problem with this. If Facebook did only make so small a profit on their UK earnings that their tax bill is this small then fine.

However if they did not and they are another huge corp engaging in government facilitated massive tax avoidance that the likes of us are expected to subsidise then yes this needs to be addressed - by my mate Jezza in PMQs.

No more Facebook advertising for me!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    They paid employees instead. These employees pay tax on their earnings, bonuses and dividends.

I dont quite see what's wrong
    I bet they are all tax avoiding contractor scum

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Tax avoidance by large corporations is kind of an industry in its own right. The corps are the customers, the big 4 consultancies the suppliers, and the government provides the legal framework, and occasionally legal havens (guernsey, cayman islands etc) to make it all work. The government also ensures that HMRC keep the focus on the little people while turning a blind eye to the corps.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Look PG a non boomer who has managed to make his way in the world by working hard and not bitching about everyone else taking his opportunities.....

bet he can afford a house
    I guess his rich parents had nothing to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    What is your actual question ? Are you asking something like, if they can do it can I do it ? If so, nope, perish the thought.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Look PG a non boomer who has managed to make his way in the world by working hard and not bitching about everyone else taking his opportunities.....

bet he can afford a house

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    And anyway, they're an American internet business. Why should they be paying any UK tax?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    They paid employees instead. These employees pay tax on their earnings, bonuses and dividends.

I dont quite see what's wrong

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Because they made ~£20K in profit?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Facebook paid £4,327 corporation tax in 2014

Facebook paid £4,327 corporation tax in 2014 - BBC News
    Do we like or dislike this one?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Double what Suity managed to contribute though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X