• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Geek Attack: What did you used to play?"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Anyone ever play that horrid card game: Magic: The Gathering?
    Indeed me and Mrs BGG did and we are currently in the process of selling our 12,000 card collection, ranging from Alpha to VII Editions.

Alas we have none of the Power Nine, though some of the cards we do have are worth £50 each. The Black Lotus card though can fetch over $1000 at Auction.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    As he has actually been a manager of a Games Workshop store, I nominate MF as the God of all Geeks. In idle moments I hanker after opening a games store but it is of course horribly niche and at the mercy of even slight economic downturns. Plus most of your customers are either spotty 14 year olds or fat, bearded types with poor personal hygiene.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Sod all that rubbish!!!

Chuckie Egg!!!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Ah, those halcyon days when you could cruise through systems with your Navy Shield generator and stick 2 cyberfingers up at pirates.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Elite - the only real version was for the BBC, wimps used the C64 version. Did you ever leave a system by turning around and shooting up the space station till the police came after you - you could really rack up the scores shooting them down. Then scarper for a few sessions!
    Yep! And then realise as you tried to dock with the space station to escape the pounding, the crashing sound and your shield levels plummeting told you the developers weren't going to allow that.

Them pesky Thargoids. Scoop up those alien artifacts.

Right on, Commander hyperD!

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Star Trek

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | |*| | | | | | |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |K| | | | | |*| |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | | | |K| | |K| |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | | | | |*|*| | |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | |K| | | |*| |K|
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | |K| | | | | | |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | | | | |E| | | |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | |*| | | | | |R|
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Oh Crap!
    Now what's the easy(well, easier) way out?

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy
    I'm with Churchill - Elite for me too. I started on a BBC model B and graduated to the 286 version.
    Elite - the only real version was for the BBC, wimps used the C64 version. Did you ever leave a system by turning around and shooting up the space station till the police came after you - you could really rack up the scores shooting them down. Then scarper for a few sessions!

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Anyone ever play that horrid card game: Magic: The Gathering?

I wasted a whole year of my life on that bloody game.

As for writing games, I just finished writing a raycaster engine to browse wolf 3d maps using SDL on MacOS X. Fun

Leave a comment:

• Bernard Common
    replied
    jaysus, it's a wonder some of you guys haven't had a monitor grafted to your faces by now.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Star Trek

First Programme I wrote was a version of this.

A Grid 10x10 containing 100 grids themselves 10x10

This was space and it randomly generated Star Bases, Stars and Klingons

One travelled around using impulse for the inner grid and warp speed for the outer one.

Eventually wrote a multi-user version on the College Minicomputer. We also had a message system built in allowing one to have conversations with other players in realtime.

Another thing was to add support for planets who may or may not be friendly and how you treated them.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yay!

Adventure. I remember that. Looked at the compiled code & it had been written in FORTRAN...

And StarTrek on a G.A. 16-220 minicomputer.

The last game I could actually win at.
    Indeed it was. Called Advent on our PDP11-23. If you typed in GDT (which I found out printing the dump of the exe) you had the cheat mode where you could become god and do various things.

I actually managed to work out the address for the room location and using PIP on the save file, move from room to room until we solved it.

The bird in the tree. The troll. The cave. The bat guano. The house. The dynamite. The jewelled egg. The trapdoor in the house.

Jeez... memory flashbacks...Nam etc

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Blimey...all this talk of "nostalgic gaming sessions"...

Some of us still play you know. Almost every week as well.

Started D&D when I was 14, and still playing weekly 24 years later. With almost the same people, with a few new additions (like the Missus).

In that time, I think I've played and DM'ed most systems. Particular favourites being CoC, Shadowrun, D&D (all versions), WFRP, Judge Dredd, In Nomine.

We're currently campaigning in Shadowrun, and next year we will revert back to D&D D20 Eberron.

But the lure of World of Warcraft is a hard one to resist...so far so good though.

Honestly....lightweights the lot of you !

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Any recipe that starts with

"First, drink some port - it helps you get in the mood!"

sounds good to me. I'll give that one a go.

Any good Portoguese wines while you were there that you could recommend?
    We used to have a cocktail recipe book with one in it called "The Governor of Jamaica's Cocktail" - the recipe starts, "First empty and clean your fish-pond......" All measures are in hogsheads.

Now that's what I call a party!

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Original D&D (a group of us started writing our own rules before the game ever got to the UK), AD&D, Space Opera and Traveller.

Ah - Attack ships burning off the Shoulder of Orion - those were the days

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I'm sadder than you contest.....

Advent (little bird, cage, maze of twisty little passageways all alike)
    and trek (Shall we ram him captain?)
    on an intel MDS 800 running under ISIS-II.

First job, 1979 BTW

Both still available in basic source out there in the ether....

Then 'HACK' in the eighties..

RS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X