• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: First Timer

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First Timer"

Collapse

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm in the same situation, I do get call backs for contracts I apply for but the 4 weeks notice is always the problem.

I'm considering giving notice then asking if I can be let go sooner if a role turns up - HR have told me it's at my line manager's discretion but that involves laying my cards on the table.

I'm looking for 2nd line helpdesky type stuff which is what I do - am I right in thinking that if things get really dire I can be considered for more junior 1st line roles even though I may be 'overqualified'?

I need to justify giving notice with nowhere to go to the other half...

No kids, no mortgage - just a mountain of debt, parents said they'd take me in if the **** hits the fan. I don't see any other way of making the switch TBH by the time I've saved up a few months living expenses on the permie wage with all the debt s to pay off I'll be in my 40s (I'm 33 now.. )

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    A one month notice period can be offset by accrued holiday - depends on terms and conditions I would imagine... (i've done that once), but it is best to leave on good terms - references count.

So, the advice is - stash away the cash, until next February / March, check out the market, and hand in your notice if you really think you can handle the lifestyle. Think in terms of potentially looking for a new job every three months and see if that appeals.

Oh, and if married, divorce first.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Except that the IR have composites on their radar.
    Does that include Giant?

(Who I've found pretty good BTW)

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Except that the IR have composites on their radar.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Whatever, I'm not a user myself. Does the trick though, and I hear good things from those who do.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Brookson are a composite not a brolly

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    A decent brolly like Brooksons is probably a good way to start. Ltd Co can be in your hand in 3 hrs - google for company formation, but if its all new to you, get an accountant to help.

Biggest problem is that notice period. NO-one is going to wait 4 weeks for a 'tractor to start, but I can understand if your nervous. Start applying for jobserve roles, and see if you get a response. They'll tell you to get lost when you tell them about the notice period, but at least you'll know if there will be offers.

Oh, and as a newbie, expect agencies to take the proverbial with rates.

Leave a comment:

• Pig
    replied
    Why not work under a brolly to start with only costs bout £25-30 per week and no hassle with accountants and such like. Then if you want set up your own company. See if it's for you like contracting first it's not everyones idea of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Benny_UK
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice.

Will do a bit more research then come back to you all.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "3 - Company takes 20 minutes - a few days to setup (I use managed limited from SJD), get the contract first."

How does this differ from a normal Ltd company? Is it like a composite?
    TE, It's a normal Ltd company, not a composite. They do all the admin, payroll, company docs etc etc. Not cheap though (120/month). But I hated doing all that stuff so it's worth it to me to take the grief away.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    It would be rude not to.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    You lot sound very well disciplined, whatever happened to spending half your life drinking champagne, perusing autotrader for 911's and holidaying in the Maldives... and then the other half pleading bloody poverty?

Well that's my experience of contracting so far.

I shall continue to live the toxic bachelor lifestyle while I can.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    You lot sound very well disciplined, whatever happened to spending half your life drinking champagne, perusing autotrader for 911's and holidaying in the Maldives... and then the other half pleading bloody poverty?

Well that's my experience of contracting so far.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "3 - Company takes 20 minutes - a few days to setup (I use managed limited from SJD), get the contract first."

How does this differ from a normal Ltd company? Is it like a composite?
    Last edited by BoredBloke; 27 September 2006, 10:59.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby
    **** off
    That's better

Leave a comment:

Working...
X