• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Favourite Walks to Work"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    One clientco walk I had was very evocative, the heavy stench of exotic spices, the unfamiliar jabber of Hindi and other strange tongues, shiit all over the road, mad drivers, and dark-skinned people teeming everywhere.....

I don't live in Bolton anymore though.

Anyone ever contract for UKIP?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Buchen in Germany.

Walker in Germany is killed by an escaped circus elephant - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I'm in Sydney. Just now the walk is through Redfern and then Darling Harbour. The former was traditionally run down, the place Aborigines live and with a lot of crime and drug problems. Now it is a mix. Part gentrified, part not. I walk past the Aboriginal tent embassy every day - it seems to be mostly made up of white people with dreadlocks.

I've seen some funny sights in Redfern. Trade union rallies round campfires, a high as a kite man in just his underpants walking around arms flailing, a woman dressed in PVC tarted up like a prostitute who was carting a big suitcase and looking lost (I helped her carry it for a bit), young guys rapping on the street, hipsters. Lots and lots of hipsters.

Then Darling Harbour which is tourist central. Often there are commercial events and it's all clean, corporate, tourist friendly fun.

Really like my walk to work.

In the past I used to love walking over the Millenium Bridge with St Pauls in front or walks alongside the Bristol floating harbour.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Anyone worked at Nestlé in Vevey, Switzerland?

Lovely walk to the office along Lake Geneva from many of the local hotels in the area. Great views of the French Alps on a clear day.
    Lived in the Old Town there for a year, it was a lovely walk through the cobblestone streets out into the marketplace and then stroll into work along the lakefront.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Anyone worked at Nestlé in Vevey, Switzerland?

Lovely walk to the office along Lake Geneva from many of the local hotels in the area. Great views of the French Alps on a clear day.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    At least now I get to WFH a couple of days a week so the walk from the kitchen after breakfast to my office via the bog for a dump isn't too bad.
    Aren't you served breakfast in your bedroom anymore? Time to update your location mate!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    My last few contracts have been in Leeds, South Shields, Newburn, Benton, Stockton on Tees and Houghton le Spring. Apart from Leeds, they are candidates for where God will stick the tube when he decides to give the world an enema. So, I rarely walked anywhere and the best route was the quickest one out of there.

At least now I get to WFH a couple of days a week so the walk from the kitchen after breakfast to my office via the bog for a dump isn't too bad.
    South Sheilds is surely a comely place for a walk. Along the seafront, stopping for a breakfast of chips and ice cream. Still, every place has its grot spots I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    From the office to the toilet knowing that I'm getting paid for at least the next half hour
    Are the Germans so skint that they can't afford a toilet in the office?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Leeds old road to Manchester road via Bradford city center tunnel (Near Media museum).

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Greenwich to Canary Wharf via the foot tunnel.
    I walk past the Cutty Sark, see the Parrots on the Isle of dogs and at the moment there are lots of duckings and young baby water birds around, which are lovely to watch.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    From the office to the toilet knowing that I'm getting paid for at least the next half hour

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Not a walk as such.
    Canary Wharf on Thames Clipper to Blackfriers.
    Walk up the gangplank to the office.
    Blackfriars - what they doing? Cooking chips?

Across London Bridge heading north very early on a summer's morning with the sun rising between the towers of Tower Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Along THE South Bank - Waterloo to the Strand
    Loved this one for the last couple of years-Waterloo to Cheapside, along South Bank to Tate Modern, over the Millenium Bridge and up through St Pauls.

Before that I had a gig in Norfolk, stayed in the motorhome a couple of miles away, and loved walking past the fields in the spring watching the spuds sprouting, the Hares boxing, and the bunnies making more bunnies. Every morning was like being in the Darling Buds of May (if Bates had set it in Norfolk of course...)

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    I used to cycle from the City Centre to Wylam via Scotswood Road than along the cycle path through Newburn & on to Wylam.

Used to be quite a hairy ride at night and I met some rather unsavoury characters along my way - particularly at the Scotswood Road end.
    At least you'd get a pint or two in the Boat House when you got to Wylam.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Not a walk as such.
    Canary Wharf on Thames Clipper to Blackfriers.
    Walk up the gangplank to the office.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X