• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: School Trips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "School Trips"

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    We had trips to Edinburgh Castle and Zoo as well as dogging up Arthur's Seat! (Oooer missus!)
    Other than that we had various trips on the Waverley Paddle Steamer to erotic destinations like Rotherham.
    Luxury!!

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    School trip in Primary was 2/- to some place down the coast to play on the beach and get sick on ice cream. That's ten pence in new money.

Only secondary school trip was organised by our geography teacher and the best school day out ever. Climbed a hill, visited a hydro dam, discovered some amazing tucked away places with waterfalls and learned about the geology of the areas we visited - free.
    We had trips to Edinburgh Castle and Zoo as well as trogging up Arthur's Seat! (Oooer missus!)
    Other than that we had various trips on the Waverley Paddle Steamer to exotic destinations like Rothesay.
    Luxury!!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Well it seems the claims of parents being pressurised into paying for something they can't afford were bollocks then.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Its been canned

Horsforth School cancels £1,650 Barbados sports trip - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    School trip in Primary was 2/- to some place down the coast to play on the beach and get sick on ice cream. That's ten pence in new money.

Only secondary school trip was organised by our geography teacher and the best school day out ever. Climbed a hill, visited a hydro dam, discovered some amazing tucked away places with waterfalls and learned about the geology of the areas we visited - free.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Loads of London kids going on all expenses paid trips to Syria at the moment. No doubt quite an educational experience....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Did they do the same with literacy?
    I thought wore off was the past tense of warn off?

But then again anyone noes by now picking up me on grammer or spelling mistakes is like shoting fish in a barrel

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    How true, I remember bonking Sally Webster, a girl form Hull, on a school trip to Innsbruck.
    I think you have old-timers, you are mixing up an old episode of Coronation St with On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    True that. Sex education.
    How true, I remember bonking Sally Webster, a girl form Hull, on a school trip to Innsbruck.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The joys of being the younger brother, when the eldest had school trips he got to go (Germany and France IIRC) by the time it was my turn my parents decided the novelty had wore off
    Did they do the same with literacy?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The joys of being the younger brother, when the eldest had school trips he got to go (Germany and France IIRC) by the time it was my turn my parents decided the novelty had wore off
    All I got was a trip to an Oxford theatre to see Fenella Fielding in a boring bloody monologue. Attractive as she was, there wasn't even any nudity.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Any school trips we had were half-terms or holidays. They wouldn't take us out of all classes to try to improve just one. They were a bit like Spock in the reactor chamber, like that.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's arranged as part of the school curriculum and considered part of the kids' education. HTH, BIDI.
    Was that a dig? I am hurt.

I know what the excuses are. That was not what I was pointing out.

The practicality is that when I take kids abroad, I try to encourage them to communicate in the language and understand/participate in some of the customs.

Kid 2 went to France 2 weeks ago, £350 for 3 days. When he came back I asked him how many new French words he had learned? Zero.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'm still annoyed at having to pay a tenner for my child to visit a butterfly farm.

Home schooling it is, I think.
    Do you have a butterfly farm at home ?

If so you should sell tickets

Leave a comment:

Working...
X