• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best time to look for work"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    Strange permie-sounding question. The best time to be looking for a contract is when there is a client who is looking for someone with your skillset.
    In which case some people will never find the best time.

On a more serious note (besides avoiding the Ides of March), I'd guess it's much the same for permies as contractors, not much being done during/just before main holiday periods, sometimes frantic requirements when departments get a ton of cash for their new budgets, or want to use up the remains of the last one.

Then again I've had more than a few contracts which went against that grain...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I find that the best time is when Jobserve is on a rolling 3 month high when compared with a rising FTSE Index for 8 consecutive weeks, around April. Mind, the average temperature should be a couple of degrees lower than the 150 yr April Average, but rainfall can be about the same. Your CV must be made of Vellum, preferably 20 years old using an Arial font, size 11. Any other size immediately gets you put in the bin.

Oh and you must list your hobbies as cycling and or swimming.

hth.

MF

Leave a comment:

• teabag
    replied
    December to Feb - bad .

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I find that the best contracts come up as soon as I have put pen to paper on one.
    You mean, put pen to paper on another one!

How's it going in your latest new contract?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I find that the best contracts come up as soon as I have put pen to paper on one.

Leave a comment:

• Jesus
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I actually got my most lucrative contract ever in December
    Fluffer for Santa Claus?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    January - Start of the last qtr. Need to spend those budgets

April - start of the year and I've got my budget to spend

September - got rid of sprogs to school, no holiday, better catch up

December - forget it!
    I actually got my most lucrative contract ever in December

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Ventura33
    When is the best time to look for work?

I have been told that January is a good month because a lot of people hang about for bonuses and then leave for another job.

I have also been told that September is a good month because a lot of people come back from holiday with a different perspective on life and decide to chuck the job in.

Is this generally true?
    January - Start of the last qtr. Need to spend those budgets

April - start of the year and I've got my budget to spend

September - got rid of sprogs to school, no holiday, better catch up

December - forget it!

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied
    Depends on...

...whether you are looking for 'permanent' or 'contract' work.
    For the first one, you sound like an expert. For the second though, beware !
    Generally speaking the short-term (3/6 m) contract market is seasonal with peaks between Apr-Jun and troughs Oct-Dec. Again speaking from my experience.

Leave a comment:

• Ventura33
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    Never start a contract in an odd numbered year.
    Well I'm screwed then, I'll have to wait another year!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    While at work....

Leave a comment:

• Jesus
    replied
    9:15

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Never start a contract in an odd numbered year.
    September to December is also bad.

Leave a comment:

• Ventura33
    replied
    Yes, I'm a permie and I'm planning to chuck my crappy job in and go contracting, hence the question.

At the moment I'm thinking of January but I want to see if anyone else has any advice that could help.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Ventura33
    When is the best time to look for work?

I have been told that January is a good month because a lot of people hang about for bonuses and then leave for another job.

I have also been told that September is a good month because a lot of people come back from holiday with a different perspective on life and decide to chuck the job in.

Is this generally true?
    Strange permie-sounding question. The best time to be looking for a contract is when there is a client who is looking for someone with your skillset.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X