• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't forget to vote for..."

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Mainly because of the very lucky coincidence that the technology revolution delivered. Had it not been for technology, there would have been a far smaller contractor boom and I doubt any of those companies would have had an easy ride, some falling straight back into public ownership. I had contracts spanning 10 years during that period within privatised utilities and transportation. With the exception of transportation, the rest were cesspits of incompetence and as far as the human factor goes and given the press since, wherever humans are involved, nothing has changed.
    If they had not been privatised they would not have invested in technology. It is nothing to do with luck it is to do with markets.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    British Petroleum October 1979
    British Aerospace February 1981
    Cable & Wireless October 1981
    Amersham International February 1982
    National Freight Corporation February 1982
    Britoil November 1982
    Associated British Ports February 1983
    Enterprise Oil July 1984
    Jaguar August 1984
    British Telecommunications December 1984
    British Shipbuilders 1985 onwards
    British Gas December 1986
    British Airways February 1987
    Rolls-Royce May 1987
    BAA July 1987
    British Steel December 1988
    Water December 1989
    Electricity 1990

Some of the industries are subsidised and some are monopolies but no one can possibly argue that the public would have been better served had they remained in state control. And let us also remember that once these companies were launched into the world of free markets where they had to compete this event sparked the huge growth in IT contractors
    Mainly because of the very lucky coincidence that the technology revolution delivered. Had it not been for technology, there would have been a far smaller contractor boom and I doubt any of those companies would have had an easy ride, some falling straight back into public ownership. I had contracts spanning 10 years during that period within privatised utilities and transportation. With the exception of transportation, the rest were cesspits of incompetence and as far as the human factor goes and given the press since, wherever humans are involved, nothing has changed.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Britoil November 1982
    Enterprise Oil July 1984
    Jaguar August 1984
    Rolls-Royce May 1987
    BAA July 1987
    Water December 1989
    Electricity 1990

Some of the industries are subsidised and some are monopolies but no one can possibly argue that the public would have been better served had they remained in state control. And let us also remember that once these companies were launched into the world of free markets where they had to compete this event sparked the huge growth in IT contractors
    Plus most of the ones receiving subsidies aren't privatised. You can't grant a monopoly (even if it's a franchise which only lasts X number of years at a time), or partially publicly fund said body, and still call it privatised in any meaningful sense of the word.

Private means subject to the 'invisible hand' and all that that entails in with regards to promoting productivity, efficiency, and value to the consumer market. Granting monopolies and subsidizing ruins all of those things.

Admitedly some things would be tricky to privatise. Although much of that is due to regulation in it's many forms anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So you think that Gordon shouldn't have sold off the gold? I suppose he could have sold off a few public bodies instead although you tell me a public body which has been privatised which is (a) either doing very well or (b) isn't getting government subsidies?
    Britoil November 1982
    Enterprise Oil July 1984
    Jaguar August 1984
    Rolls-Royce May 1987
    BAA July 1987
    Water December 1989
    Electricity 1990

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    My money 'On the tits' or 'swallows'

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    So you think that Gordon shouldn't have sold off the gold? I suppose he could have sold off a few public bodies instead although you tell me a public body which has been privatised which is (a) either doing very well or (b) isn't getting government subsidies?
    I am making two points here. One is that it is not necessary for the state to own anything (particularly businesses) and secondly if you are criticising Tory for selling assets then you might like to take Gordon Browns selling of gold into consideration.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    you tell me a public body which has been privatised which is (a) either doing very well or (b) isn't getting government subsidies?
    The GPO?

(now known as BT)

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I thought labour had sold it off with all the gold?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    No, but the Tories are thinking of privatising them seeing as they're always buggering off to foreign climes and leaving their deposits there
    So you think that the Nationalised industries should have remained in public ownership?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    No, but the Tories are thinking of privatising them seeing as they're always buggering off to foreign climes and leaving their deposits there

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Britain's national bird, the vote for that is also today: Vote for Britain's Favourite Bird

(Server seems a bit overwhelmed though)

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Swallow has my vote

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I voted for a blue tit. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do that today.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    started a topic Don't forget to vote for...

Don't forget to vote for...

Britain's national bird, the vote for that is also today: Vote for Britain's Favourite Bird

(Server seems a bit overwhelmed though)

Working...
X