• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Broadband recommendations?"

Collapse

• hattra
    replied
    Zen are good, and Sky have just started offering an "up to 16 Mb, unlimited usage*" service to Sky TV customers for £10 / month, but I don't know how reliable they are

*subject to a fair usage policy (whatever that means)

Leave a comment:

• castoff101
    replied
    Thanks one and all for your replies. I used to be with NTL, no real issues with them, just I am moving to a property and only BT have a line into the property. I do not want to take anytime off (very good day rate in London), so went along with BT. You need a BT line installed for a lot of the services anyway(?).

I will look at the tips given and hopefully decide!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Jefferson
    replied
    Have been using NewNet now for 6 months and have been very impressed.
    It's cheap and no frills but has been 100% reliable and have been impressed with any contact I have had with the company. E.g signed up on their website at 3pm one afternoon & had a welcome letter waiting for me when I got up the following morning. All good..

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    At home muppet.. #

Trains have free WIFI in some stations though

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I'm using a BT business line atm and no problems at all.

UKOnline are great when it works but they aren't so hot when it goes wrong. Nildram used to be the best but Pipex have bought them out now and occasionally route UK traffic via france for some wierd reason. Still works but if you are looking for low latency to play games online in your spare time it can be a bit of an arse.

Do trains have BT lines then ?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I'm using a BT business line atm and no problems at all.

UKOnline are great when it works but they aren't so hot when it goes wrong. Nildram used to be the best but Pipex have bought them out now and occasionally route UK traffic via france for some wierd reason. Still works but if you are looking for low latency to play games online in your spare time it can be a bit of an arse.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    It's a dirty word, but AOL offer unlimied broadband for 9.99 for their 1mb link. Yes they are rubbish, but their unlimited offer is unlimited (at the moment)

Does AOL sell well in the Middle East ?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    It's a dirty word, but AOL offer unlimied broadband for 9.99 for their 1mb link. Yes they are rubbish, but their unlimited offer is unlimited (at the moment)

Leave a comment:

• chubba
    replied
    UK ONline

Take into account what the wise and wonderful AtW said above, you won't get much data transfer with most suppliers for £10-15 so if you like to cane the P2Ps then don't bother with Tiscali, Plusnet or any that have a * by their unlimited usage statements (* unlimited is what we deem to be enough, anyone taking up more bandwidth than we deem to be unlimited will have thier connection throttled to the speed of a 33.6k modem - enjoy).

I am now with http://www.ukonline.net/ and I enjoy their 8 Mb service for £25 a month or you can go for the 2Mb for £15 a month, this really is unlimited! Customer service is OK, uptime is fantastic.

Basically, have a read of the small print of all the suppliers and go for the one with the least restrictions!

If you do go for UK online then please PM me before you sign up as if I introduce you we both get a free months service - which is nice.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Try to get BeThere.co.uk - ADSL 2 for just 24 quid, no traffic limits, 1.3 Mbit upload - if you are one of the first to register on your exchange you can get it for 20 quid per month, like I did.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    www.nildram.co.uk ....

why just £15.... its expensible you know... I smell permie! Out vile spot!
    I use Nildram and they are good...even have their call centre here in good old blighty. Do you just know you are going to get some indian with an impossible to understand accent on the phone...naw just kidding. Their support people are actually quite good at sorting your problems out.

Regards

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    check with adslguide.org.uk first to see what options you have at your local exchange.

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    eclispe

Another 3 cheers for eclispse. Ive been with them for years, they never used to be the cheapest but the first class service (the few times I have had to call on it) has made them worth every penny. I used to be with NTL so I know how much useless tulipkicker support staff can ruin your week. Talking of which, why has Andy W not piped up yet?

Oh, my mistake, of course he already has....

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    I use eclipse
    Generally their service is excellent - esp web side (I'm on the cheapest package). Web mail has had hiccups every couple of months, for a few days, it is usable generally, though, just times out. POP3 etc behaves better, takes a couple of attempts then gets mails. I had issues signing up because of the exchange, but they kept me in the loop, chased BT, and progressed the whole order within hours of BT clearing the exchange issue.
    No spam through them - was with BT before, and UK helpline - big bonus!
    If you want to go with them, pm me & I will send you a referrer code

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Not Bt !!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X