• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starting an IT Consultancy"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Go get a role with a consultancy, learn their business for 10 years, find out how much slush fund you need for bribing clients and governments, save up enough then go for it!
    Yep, and you will need a large cash flow. Take exams etc etc etc

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Go get a role with a consultancy, learn their business for 10 years, find out how much slush fund you need for bribing clients and governments, save up enough then go for it!
    ^This, finding clients is the hard bit

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Sounds exactly like a pimp

What would you be doing that's different to every other recruitment agent out there?
    Understanding the market and the skills that people will need to do the job.

However, it's not a consultancy that the OP is suggesting - it's a niche agency.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by nikos101 View Post
    Hi there

I am an IT contractor but am interested in exploring the idea of starting my own IT consultancy business. I know naff all about this (not a great start eh?) but am keen to find out more about how to go about it and wondered if anyone had any advice/info?

I'm not interested in taking on permanent staff, etc, I just want to place other contractors in to specific roles within my area of expertise, a bit like a pimp I guess!

I have plenty of contacts re the people that I would place in to roles and have some good relationships with business where I could place them, but don't know what other things I need to consider? Anyone else do/done this type of thing before?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Try and convince the Head of the HR departments at the places you have plenty of contacts and, convince them you are able to fill their needs better \ cheaper than anyone else on their PSL?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    a bit like a pimp
    Sounds exactly like a pimp

What would you be doing that's different to every other recruitment agent out there?

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Hi there

I am an IT contractor but am interested in exploring the idea of starting my own IT consultancy business. I know naff all about this (not a great start eh?) but am keen to find out more about how to go about it and wondered if anyone had any advice/info?

I'm not interested in taking on permanent staff, etc, I just want to place other contractors in to specific roles within my area of expertise, a bit like a pimp I guess!

I have plenty of contacts re the people that I would place in to roles and have some good relationships with business where I could place them, but don't know what other things I need to consider? Anyone else do/done this type of thing before?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Let me know if you need a couple of references and my day rate?

Leave a comment:

• nikos101
    started a topic Starting an IT Consultancy

Starting an IT Consultancy

Hi there

Working...
X