• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why I like using the German version of easyjet.com"

Collapse

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Why is it people of England have constant German War nostalgia? Serious question.
    Because Britain in the 1940's was "good", opposing tyranny, fighting an existential threat.

Most of the other wars since then have been less clear-cut. A lot harder to understand, agree with, and even to decide who actually won.

World War II is simple. Nazi == Evil. Allies == Hero's.

As the decades have passed the country has undergone massive change. Mostly for the better. But people like to cling to a very steady image of the UK, when we were clearly on the right side of history.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    In Bayern yes, particularly them in Austria, but the younger population - not a whisper. Yet Prince potter Harry still fancies himself in a Nazi uniform.

I've yet to see a German dress up a British army officer.
    Winners always recant and rewrite history so deal with it.

(Just don't mention the War to anyone Polish who understands British humour.)

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Diary story from the Glasgow Herald newspaper as it was then, of the German tourist who encountered a harassed Glasgow mother smacking her errant child.

The tourist interrupted: 'In Germany, we do not hit our children!'

'Is that right?" replied the mother. 'In Partick we don't gas our Jews.'

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The best version of that song (also the name of the album) is actually by a Scottish band - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band although you might like to know that it was written by two Americans though, Kander and Ebb...

http://vk.com/video3296417_166585313

There's also the right wing one by Skrewdriver if you're that way inclined
    Indeed it's a warning song, not one of glorification. I believe the writers who were vilified by the ignorant as neo-Nazi and anti Semites were in fact Jewish.

Actually I prefer the 1987 Spitting Image General Election special version, it showed Thatchers tories in an interestingly scary light and had a chilling effect at the time. To be fair some of the images still resonate today.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Er, according to my German website, mind you I don't use them anyway:

Neue Buchungen: Zu allen Buchungen (außer Flexi Flugtarife) kommt eine Verwaltungsgebühr von 15 € hinzu. Bei Buchungen mit Visa-Kredikarte, MasterCard, Diners Club, American Express, Carte Bleue (nur inländische Transaktionen in Frankreich) und UATP/AirPlus wird eine Zusatzgebühr von 2,0 % des Transaktionswerts.

And you can have it in English it seems, albeit only US English it seems
    Yes, but you also have the option to just do a bank transfer via direct debit.. 'Bezahlung mit Lastschriftverfahren', which attracts no fees in DE, but the same method in the UK there's a charge. What gives?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The older Germans are just as bad, so I discovered when I worked there for six years.
    In Bayern yes, particularly them in Austria, but the younger population - not a whisper. Yet Prince potter Harry still fancies himself in a Nazi uniform.

I've yet to see a German dress up a British army officer.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    You'd think it was seven years ago and not seventy ze war ended.

Why is it people of England have constant German War nostalgia? Serious question. I've never understood it. There's been many more conflicts and atrocities across the globe since this time yet members of the Royal family and Tory MP's dress up as Nazis. Is it a lost calling, a sex thing, help me understand?
    The older Germans are just as bad, so I discovered when I worked there for six years.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    1. Booking a flight takes 2-3 minutes
    2. No booking banking fees of debit card fees. Just provide your Deutsche account number press accept and it's done.
    3. The same flight is always cheaper in € than in £

now if only it were in English...
    Er, according to my German website, mind you I don't use them anyway:

Neue Buchungen: Zu allen Buchungen (außer Flexi Flugtarife) kommt eine Verwaltungsgebühr von 15 € hinzu. Bei Buchungen mit Visa-Kredikarte, MasterCard, Diners Club, American Express, Carte Bleue (nur inländische Transaktionen in Frankreich) und UATP/AirPlus wird eine Zusatzgebühr von 2,0 % des Transaktionswerts.

And you can have it in English it seems, albeit only US English it seems

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Too soon to identify Scooter's obsession?
    The best version of that song (also the name of the album) is actually by a Scottish band - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band although you might like to know that it was written by two Americans though, Kander and Ebb...

http://vk.com/video3296417_166585313

There's also the right wing one by Skrewdriver if you're that way inclined

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Too soon to identify Scooter's obsession?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    If Germany is so efficient; why can't they finish building an airport?

AirportWatch | Berlin Airports
    My Partner had a year in Germany (as she was then a student of German) 2005/6 needing two consecutive German Work Permits, we can both testify that German efficiency is a total myth. (was in an intray in Bonn for like six weeks)...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

It's nothing to do with Germany. Easyjet is a company based in Luton.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I agree, I always prefer Luftwaffe for flights to Coventry....
    You'd think it was seven years ago and not seventy ze war ended.

Why is it people of England have constant German War nostalgia? Serious question. I've never understood it. There's been many more conflicts and atrocities across the globe since this time yet members of the Royal family and Tory MP's dress up as Nazis. Is it a lost calling, a sex thing, help me understand?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I agree, I always prefer Luftwaffe for flights to Coventry....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X