• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear : Aviva to offshore thousands of jobs"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    P.S a nice little anecdote is that following mergers, the group looked for a new name - you know, one of the fashionable names that means nothing, and tries to distance itself from any particular country (even though that country led to their actual existence).

Well, they came up with 'Aviva'. Ironic, as 'Aviva' was the name of a charity shop selling shoddy goods about 600 yards away from Norwich Unions headquarters in Marble Hall.

I wonder how much they paid for that name? And what coffee hyped hack from London borrowed it on the way to the meeting...

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Just saw some scumbag from 'Aviva' trying to justify sacking UK workers and moving the jobs overseas...

Check out their profits...

http://www.aviva.com/files/reports/i....asp?pageid=47

Kunt.

Why not offshore the management...? You could find an illiterate Vietnamese who would nod at anything someone from wipro said, and he would cost about £5 a year. That would save a few hundred million....

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied
    Funny, as in strange

What would make people less cynical about the off-shoring business is that they don't see any of the benefits that the potential savings from outsourcing should bring (assuming that there any). So if Aviva/NU would turn round and say 'We've made so many savings in our operation costs, so we are passing them on to our clients' - NOT !

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Last time I tried heavily advertised Norwich Union motor insurance they quoted me significantly more than I found elsewhere - they may well be the "designer label" equivalent in insurance world, but I ain't paying so much more for priviledge of being with that company. Looks like others wised up too.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Or the bus drivers.......ah no that's Arriva.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    tulip I just joined the RAC.
    You wait when they start to offshore the RAC Patrolmen...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    tulip I just joined the RAC.

Didn't know they were Aviva.

They were more expensive than the AA too!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Aviva plans to cut 4,000 UK jobs

Looks like Wipro have managed to convince the thick-as-tulipe management that, having cost Aviva a fortune and wasted the existing staff's time by having them train indians for the last 2 years, they are the cheaper option.

'Offshore me happy'
    You are so so right

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    They are increasing their premiums as well. I phoned:

"Oy, you're not quoting me happy!"

"Hello, my name is Sidney. Reedy doddod budda bum. Butt a dud budda bum. ..."
    Did you ask Sidney to poppodom his quote over there.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    They are increasing their premiums as well. I phoned:

"Oy, you're not quoting me happy!"

"Hello, my name is Sidney. Reedy doddod budda bum. Butt a dud budda bum. ..."

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Looks like Wipro have managed to convince the thick-as-tulipe management that, having cost Aviva a fortune and wasted the existing staff's time by having them train indians for the last 2 years, they are the cheaper option.
    Having worked at NU for several years (until earlier this year), I am flabbergasted at this decision. It had already been determined that, despite the much lower salary costs, it would take approximately 7 years to break even after initial costs. To speed this process up, they started double-shifting.

In their defence, the Indian staff were highly efficient and, I'm sad to say, much more efficient than their UK based peers, but they were in the main only performing true back-office functions.

I have had to resort to e-mail instead of phone in the past as it has been far too difficult trying to hold a conversation with them, so I can only empathise with customers who have to deal with off-shore call centres.

Flubby

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    started a topic Oh Dear : Aviva to offshore thousands of jobs

Oh Dear : Aviva to offshore thousands of jobs

Aviva plans to cut 4,000 UK jobs

Aviva, owner of Norwich Union, has long-term off-shoring plans
    The UK's biggest insurer Aviva has announced plans to cut 4,000 British jobs by 2008 as it seeks to trim costs and streamline its operations.
    Aviva, which owns Norwich Union, said that up to 1,000 jobs would be shifted overseas to India. Another 500 IT posts would be outsourced, it added.

The insurer said the move was part of earlier-announced plans to move 7,800 jobs overseas by the end of next year.

Aviva said it would look to "minimise the number of compulsory redundancies".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5344450.stm

Be careful who you buy insurance with, as a lot of products on the market are simply rebranded Aviva.

'Offshore me happy'

Working...
X