• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You reap what you sow"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: Oh dear

Chico,

You should try reading what people write
    I think a person called Jesus (or Joshua or Jeshu) did exist
    When it comes to the historical evidence for his existence, primary evidence is thin on the ground. Yes there are references to Jesus, but on closer inspection they are all secondary sources. Not to be ignored, certainly, but inevitably coloured by the authors opinion of the original subject. Josephus wrote in 94AD, some 60 years after the events, and based his passage on things that he had heard, not what he had experienced, Tacitus wrote in 112 AD, again repeating things that he had heard. Josephus is important , certainly, as he seems to be the ONLY non-biblical mention of Jesus in the first century and he wasn't born until 37 AD, after the event. Some scholars also believe that his account has been tampered with by later writers, to add details of the Resurrection.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Analogy

F$666 Inappropriate use of the sainted GOTO command.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

NSW

go to GCSE religious studies
    Where is this magical place?

Chico in "annoy those pesky atheist and secular humanists" mode

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Nahh a good troll at least sounds intelligent and informed and is capable of giving plausible sounding arguments. Where as chico's are basically "because the bible says so" or "go to GCSE religious studies"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Beuatiful trolling Chico - keep up the good work. In terms of nuance, tone etc. it is inch perfect.:lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Analogy

So you still do not get the analogy - then? Oh dear

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No I don't mean throwing them to the lions

I mean nailing them to trees which is how the Romans crucified people. I repeat, which is how the Romans crucified people. Of course that was only in the real world, who knows what they did in looney-land, which you seem to inhabit.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: 2000 years later

Spod - I met him already

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    2000 years later

I think you mean throwing them to the lions. While Christ was nailed to a cross as was Peter - most Christians at that time were fed to the lions. 2000 years later I see those tendencies still exist. Now do you get the Roman soldier analogy - dundee has the penny dropped yet?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Chico, I fervently wish that you meet your god sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's no wonder that people enjoyed nailing

******* christians to trees, is it!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Spod

I have said it to you once and I will say it again - do not post until you have taken your pills - ok?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If you've got God's telephone number, where's the need for faith?

(With apologies to the Dear Dead Douglas Adams...)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Spod - In "Oh, FFS" mode!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Widget I am glad you have finally admitted you cannot win this. The facts speak for themselves.

hatra

Once again you are ignorant of the facts. From God and Science

Historicity of Jesus A case in point is the historicity of Jesus. Although many atheists state that Jesus never lived, He is mentioned by many contemporary, non-Christian historians. Let us look at the evidence.

Flavius Josephus, a first century Jewish historian wrote of Jesus and the Christians:

"so he [Ananus, son of Ananus the high priest] assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before him the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others (or some of his companions) and when he had formed an accusation against them, he delivered them to be stoned."
    Other Jewish rabbinical writings, including Rabbi Eliezer and writers of the Talmud, talk about Jesus and his miracles. Surprisingly to many atheists, they never denied that miracles took place, but attempted to explain them as a result of evil . More information about Jesus in the Talmud can be found at Jesus Christ In The Talmud.

Cornelius Tacitus wrote about Jesus and the first century Christians in his Annals (a history of the Roman empire):

"Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus."
    Thallus, a Samaritan historian, wrote ca. 52 A.D. attempting to give a natural explanation for the earthquake and darkness which occurred at the crucifixion of Jesus. Mara Bar-Seraphon wrote a letter to his son in 73 A.D. which tells of the deaths of Socrates, Pythagoras, and of Jesus, "What advantage did the Jews gain from executing their wise king?...Nor did the wise king die for good; he lived on in the teaching which he had given." Jesus is also mentioned by Phlegon, a first-century historian, Lucian of Samosata (in The Passing Peregrinus), and Plinius Secundus, (Pliny the Younger).

Scholars have made statements such as, "no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non-historicity of Jesus ." The latest version of Encyclopedia Britannica says in its discussion of the multiple extra-biblical witnesses:

"These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus, which was disputed for the first time and on inadequate grounds by several authors at the end of the 18th, during the 19th, and at the beginning of the 20th centuries."
    Even the atheist H. G. Wells spoke of Jesus, "...one is obliged to say, "Here was a man. This part of the tale could not have been invented."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X