• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HELP: What do I do?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Propaganda, even though lack of MGs was design mistake (much like "variables" in XSL), but crews in the field found half baked solutions, here are the results from Kurst:

"During the Kursk offensive until November of 1943, Ferdinands from sPzJagAbt 653 destroyed some 320 Soviet tanks and lost 13 Ferdinands, while entire 656 sPanzerjager Regiment destroyed some 502 Soviet tanks and 100 other vehicles."

Source: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz6.htm

It was early Panthers (A series) that had massive breakdowns as Kursk - later they go it fixed and it became formiddable tank, only big downside was lack of diesel engine.

"Elephant proved to be very effective weapon when operating at long range, for example one Elephant knocked out Soviet T-34 at the range of 4.5 kilometers. Overall, Elephant was a very advanced design, which proved to be a superb defensive weapon with an enormous firepower. "

Basically if used properly (from distance) it was a very good weapon - german optics were excellent.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Most of which broke down at Kursk, and were a waste of time.. no machine guns for anti-infantry defence.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They do: Panzerjäger Tiger(P) - Ferdinand / Elephant Sd. Kfz. 184

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Bet they don't have elephants though....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I prefer WW2 situations - there are almost 2000 (2k!) different units in PG2.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I refer you to my previous (updated) message.. internet play is quite violent!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I like the idea of mobile warfare with tactical air support - I might try that total war thing, but it does not sound very exciting. If you never played Panzer General 2 (or even 1) then you should definately try it, PG 3 is crap tho

Today I used somewhat different tactics than last 10 times - I bought very heavy pretty long range (4 hexes) arty that was following my mobile units - add to this STUKA dive bombers and the France fallen easily

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I doubt that weaponry of the bronze age is interesting - try Panzer General 2 with new add-ons - people on the Net addded lots of equipment, really high variety of units, awesome game - I am playing it from start probably for 10th time and its still great - today used new strategy to invade France
    Actually it is quite varied.... and there are lots of mods. I started with the original Shogun: Total War, as I have an interest in Japanese history, and became hooked...

Perhaps the most varied will be the upcoming Medieval version 2.... it was quite fun starting crusades against opponents in the first version....

From the current RTW and the Barbarian Invasion expansion pack - these are real in-battle screenshots.... you need a decent video card if you play with huge armies....

Last edited by mcquiggd; 9 September 2006, 22:24.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You gotto forgive MF for being cranky - he posted only because he just finished his rota of changing nappies

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Another self-reflective comment from MF... no change there then.....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I doubt that weaponry of the bronze age is interesting - try Panzer General 2 with new add-ons - people on the Net addded lots of equipment, really high variety of units, awesome game - I am playing it from start probably for 10th time and its still great - today used new strategy to invade France

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    May I suggest

5) Get a Life!
    Says the man on a forum at 11pm on Saturday night.

Yes I'm here too.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    May I suggest

5) Get a Life!

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Turn based, but realtime battles. It's probably the best of the strategy genre....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I heard its good, think its Real Time Strategy? I've done too much of it (including programming) so don't play them anymore - ever since Dune 2, Dune 3 and Warcraft.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X