• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should Ultra-Orthodox Jews be allowed on planes?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    I think this is the main point... that people's religions, customs or behaviour shouldn't infringe upon the rights of others. People rightly get upset when this happens, but I think the notice in Stamford Hill was put up by someone as a provocation (and a good Daily Wail news story).
    The notice in Stamford Hill was put up because there was a religious festival. There were a lot of notices but this particular notice was left up by mistake and it became a news story thanks to social media and the DM. Next year the notices will not have any English on them to avoid upsetting the non-Jewish residents of the area.

I only know this because local London news programs picked up the story and explained the background.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I think this is the main point... that people's religions, customs or behaviour shouldn't infringe upon the rights of others. People rightly get upset when this happens, but I think the notice in Stamford Hill was put up by someone as a provocation (and a good Daily Wail news story).

The orthodox Jews generally keep to themselves. They are a closed community and aren't really representative of secular Jews such as myself.
    They do not represent me, nor my views either. Shana Tova, Santa!

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I saw the notices thingy. Quite funny I thought. If people want to choose which side of the road to walk on then its freedom of choice. Like wearing a face veil.

But when your freedom of choice disrupts others it becomes an issue. If you want to stand on a bus or train then fine. But on an aeroplane for take-off its dangerous.

I agree with Sue Ellen. Segregated flights is the way to go. Amazed EL AL don't do this.

The orthodox Jews generally keep to themselves. They are a closed community and aren't really representative of secular Jews such as myself.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That doesn't make sense.
    Don't you understand composition and inheritance?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It's amazing the stirring up of racial hatred that the newspapers are currently doing. Not just for Jews, but Muslims aswell.

First it was a hastily sellotaped note on a wall in Stamford Hill saying men and women should walk on different sides of the road. The Daily Mail, being a knee-jerk newspaper obviously thought it was completely true and gave Margery in Tunbridge Wells something to moan about.

Now we get this story in the Telegraph. EL AL is an Israeli airline.. let them sort out the problem! We don't need the Telegraph's help FFS.
    I saw the notices thingy. Quite funny I thought. If people want to choose which side of the road to walk on then its freedom of choice. Like wearing a face veil.

But when your freedom of choice disrupts others it becomes an issue. If you want to stand on a bus or train then fine. But on an aeroplane for take-off its dangerous.

I agree with Sue Ellen. Segregated flights is the way to go. Amazed EL AL don't do this.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Some people don't need a sex change to be a c unt!
    That doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The neatest solution would be for churchy to complete his gender reassignment surgery as he'll refuse to sit next to them too. .
    Some people don't need a sex change to be a c unt!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm tired and confused! One religion and it's arcane practices is like another....

You know what I think is funny about radical Muslims now?

When I was at uni the orthodox Jewish ladies would often be found hanging out with the strict Muslims ladies. As the other Jews and Muslims weren't religious enough plus they had gone to school together.....

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I got a flight back from Tel Aviv once and there were 3 men belonging to some Jewish sect sitting in the row in front of me. they each had a block of wood strapped to their head and spent practically the whole trip chanting and rocking and other, for me anyway, extremely strange doings, especially the one who spent much of the time with a towel also draped over his head. ******* weirdos....

(at times it was actually quite frightening, or more scary, and the Halal meals served on El Al taste like tulip and it took me 4 ******* hours to get through security)
    It's a prayer ritual called "Tefillin". They are just boxes with Hebrew scrolls in them. Don't worry, I've never seen one with Semtex or a Jew ever blow themselves up on a plane for that matter. The "towels" are prayer shawls - again all a bit strange, but harmless and maybe a bit annoying if you're trying to get some shut-eye.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Halal meals? They are allowed that on an Israeli airline? I thought they would be Kosher.....
    I'm tired and confused! One religion and it's arcane practices is like another....

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    It's amazing the stirring up of racial hatred that the newspapers are currently doing. Not just for Jews, but Muslims aswell.

First it was a hastily sellotaped note on a wall in Stamford Hill saying men and women should walk on different sides of the road. The Daily Mail, being a knee-jerk newspaper obviously thought it was completely true and gave Margery in Tunbridge Wells something to moan about.

Now we get this story in the Telegraph. EL AL is an Israeli airline.. let them sort out the problem! We don't need the Telegraph's help FFS.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I got a flight back from Tel Aviv once and there were 3 men belonging to some Jewish sect sitting in the row in front of me. they each had a block of wood strapped to their head and spent practically the whole trip chanting and rocking and other, for me anyway, extremely strange doings, especially the one who spent much of the time with a towel also draped over his head. ******* weirdos....

(at times it was actually quite frightening, or more scary, and the Halal meals served on El Al taste like tulip and it took me 4 ******* hours to get through security)
    Halal meals? They are allowed that on an Israeli airline? I thought they would be Kosher.....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The airlines should just have a special flight for them and charge them extra for the seating arrangements.

Then they should put a statement under the normal flights at that time that says due to New York State and US Federal laws segregation of seating under sex, racial and religious grounds is illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The neatest solution would be for churchy to complete his gender reassignment surgery as he'll refuse to sit next to them too. .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X