• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The unacceptable face of capitalism"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Can you tell the difference between investment of capital for a return and the selling of a Big Mac for a profit?

I'm a contractor and I sell my labour. I also invest heavily to increase the future value of my labour. I'm a capitalist and I trade in human capital.
    I'll take that as a no. Carry on as before.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's not even a dichotomy you silly.

But... can you tell the difference between the investment of capital for a return and the selling of labour for a wage?
    Can you tell the difference between investment of capital for a return and the selling of a Big Mac for a profit?

I'm a contractor and I sell my labour. I also invest heavily to increase the future value of my labour. I'm a capitalist and I trade in human capital.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    You have a remarkable propensity for stating the bleedin' obvious esp after I had already said it 3 times in the thread. The term you are looking for is 'avoidance'; if a tax saving is illegal, it's 'evasion'. I think you misunderstood my point about buying in bulk; the point that I was making is that being cash rich, you can take advantage of preferential terms by buying in bulk whereas the other 98% of whom you speak usually can't. Doesn't stop you taking advantage though? It's not about whether you shop at Lidl or take the leftovers out of the skip at the back of KFC.

Especially when since WW2, successive lying governments would have us believe contributions are ring fenced and targeted only at the NHS and pensions. The biggest lie of last and this century. I would have less of a beef about paying any tax if so much was not wasted or shared around money grubbing politicians and their friends.
    I'd still have an issue with it but at least then there would be a modicum of transparency to it, rather than a blatant rip off, not to mention the government's ludicrous sanctimony over it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If that's a valid argument, then it also invalidates the idea that the state must restrict the 'extremes' of capitalism. To what end? when different peopel have different views?
    No it doesn't invalidate the argument. But you are right that there will be different views (and interests) to navigate. How to navigate this depends on your political philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Do you know the difference between a capitalist and a worker?
    I am sure Bernard Manning told that one - remind me of the punchline please.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It's a false dichotomy.
    It's not even a dichotomy you silly.

But... can you tell the difference between the investment of capital for a return and the selling of labour for a wage?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    You seem to be confusing free trade with capitalism. Look at the relationship in any society between labour and capital and then you will understand whether it is a slave society, a feudalist society, a capitalist society or something else.
    I'm not - but free trade (of goods, services, labour, or anything else a man might voluntarily trade with another) is a prerequisite. When you restrict a man's freedom to trade, or not trade - then you kill capitalism. When a deal is a bad one, men must be free to not make that trade - the state prevents that in many cases.

QE wouldn't be a problem if we were free to not participate in the current fiat paradigm. But we're not, and as such we're robbed of wealth every time the state prints another pound.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    It's a false dichotomy.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    But different people have a different view of what a desirable outcome is.
    If that's a valid argument, then it also invalidates the idea that the state must restrict the 'extremes' of capitalism. To what end? when different peopel have different views?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Where is the contradiction?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Nice try but fail.

capitalist: definition of capitalist in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

IT contractors make their living by selling their labour, so are workers, even if they are privileged workers.
    Where is the contradiction?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    There's a tacit understanding here of what that desirable outcome is. The problem is that people who claim that capitalism doesn't work in certain markets tend not to understand capitalism or basic economics, and that ignorance causes them to empower people to commit fraud, and sabotages the market's potential to deliver optimal results.
    But different people have a different view of what a desirable outcome is.

Optimal results for whom?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Human capital.
    Nice try but fail.

capitalist
    Line breaks: cap¦it¦al|ist
    Pronunciation: /ˈkapɪt(ə)lɪst /
    NOUN

A person who uses their wealth to invest in trade and industry for profit in accordance with the principles of capitalism:
    capitalist: definition of capitalist in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

IT contractors make their living by selling their labour, so are workers, even if they are privileged workers.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Everything 'works' in that it produces an outcome. Whether that outcome is desirable is a different matter. Feudalism 'worked'.
    There's a tacit understanding here of what that desirable outcome is. The problem is that people who claim that capitalism doesn't work in certain markets tend not to understand capitalism or basic economics, and that ignorance causes them to empower people to commit fraud, and sabotages the market's potential to deliver optimal results.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Exactly. That's the opposite of capitalism, not the extreme of it. It's the state's interference in markets which facilitates this fraud.
    You seem to be confusing free trade with capitalism. Look at the relationship in any society between labour and capital and then you will understand whether it is a slave society, a feudalist society, a capitalist society or something else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X