• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "August 2014 Warmest on record, globally"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    That's not quite accurate; 'model', as in 'climate model' usually implies a complex piece of software run on a supercomputer many times. The 'model' used by Hansen consists of the following:

1. Take the estimated contribution to SLR from ice sheet disintegration - about 1mm/yr, giving 1cm for the decade 2005-2015
    2. Observe that this has doubled over the last decade.
    3. Assume it carries on doubling each decade

This gives a rise of approx 5m this century. So there were no 'various model runs', it was more a fag-packet illustration of a geometric progression. As Hansen noted,

Ice sheet breakup is problematic and hard to model, to the extent that the 2007 IPCC report simply included it as a linear term in their SLR estimates:

Hansen is at the other end of the spectrum, assuming the breakup will be dynamic, and non-linear, and he lays out his reasons in the references to the above paper. At no point however, did he state that 5m was his most likely number.
    So you agree with me then? (apart from I should have said 'projections' (i.e. Richard Alley's) instead of 'models' - which has nothing to do with the point anyway)

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    It was an outlier among all of the results run from various models; That doesn't mean that Hansen necessarily thought it unlikely - only that a single result of several predicted consequences of that magnitude.

Hanson actually went on to justify that particular result as being plausible based on the data from the IPCC, due to non-linear ice sheet melting.

I.e. Hanson didn't say "Hey, i found this outlier result which seems unlikely". He said "Hey - you know this outlier result? Well i reckon it's not as spurious as you might assume".
    That's not quite accurate; 'model', as in 'climate model' usually implies a complex piece of software run on a supercomputer many times. The 'model' used by Hansen consists of the following:

1. Take the estimated contribution to SLR from ice sheet disintegration - about 1mm/yr, giving 1cm for the decade 2005-2015
    2. Observe that this has doubled over the last decade.
    3. Assume it carries on doubling each decade

This gives a rise of approx 5m this century. So there were no 'various model runs', it was more a fag-packet illustration of a geometric progression. As Hansen noted,

Of course I cannot prove that my choice of a ten-year doubling time for nonlinear response is accurate, but I am confident that it provides a far better estimate than a linear response for the ice sheet component of sea level rise under BAU forcing.
    Ice sheet breakup is problematic and hard to model, to the extent that the 2007 IPCC report simply included it as a linear term in their SLR estimates:

Dynamical processes related to ice flow not included in current models but suggested by recent observations could increase the vulnerability of the ice sheets to warming, increasing future sea level rise. Understanding of these processes is limited and there is no consensus on their magnitude.
    Hansen is at the other end of the spectrum, assuming the breakup will be dynamic, and non-linear, and he lays out his reasons in the references to the above paper. At no point however, did he state that 5m was his most likely number.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    And of course contextualised with the statement:

I'm not sure why you guys are getting so hung up with an outlier from a single scientist, but it is certainly there, and PJ certainly quotes it with a contextualising statement.

More worrying I think, are attempts to take this outlier and cast is as a prediction. That would be quite wrong, wouldn't it?
    It was an outlier among all of the results run from various models; That doesn't mean that Hansen necessarily thought it unlikely - only that a single result of several predicted consequences of that magnitude.

Hanson actually went on to justify that particular result as being plausible based on the data from the IPCC, due to non-linear ice sheet melting.

I.e. Hanson didn't say "Hey, i found this outlier result which seems unlikely". He said "Hey - you know this outlier result? Well i reckon it's not as spurious as you might assume".
    Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 24 September 2014, 00:40. Reason: UN-likely

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

I'm not sure why you guys are getting so hung up with an outlier from a single scientist, but it is certainly there, and PJ certainly quotes it with a contextualising statement.

More worrying I think, are attempts to take this outlier and cast is as a prediction. That would be quite wrong, wouldn't it?
    thats because you have a short memory.

we were discussing catastophism, and I was congratulating pj on his distancing himself from these alarmist claims. Something that all right minded people should do imho.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    sorry
    thats my lingo. when i said noone, I meant me. thats the way we talk around here

i am not responsible for any extremists out there, even if they do oppose the global warming scam.
    Enough of your nonsense. You are a crook and a charlatan.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Possibly the link i referred to earlier: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1752654

Quoted a bit including this:

So it's 'plausible'.

Hansen described his projection as an outlier, and highly non-linear, most of the rise occurring long after 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Anyway, EO, still interested in your views on:

So, EO, if I am the naive and ignorant one, how do you square:

With:

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    sorry
    thats my lingo. when i said noone, I meant me. thats the way we talk around here

i am not responsible for any extremists out there, even if they do oppose the global warming scam.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Anyway, EO, still interested in your views on:

no offence taken. But you are displaying a fair amount of naivety and ignorance here.
    no one has ever disputed that humans are affecting the climate, that the green house effect is real. Producing millions of journals that say the same is meaningless.

no one has ever disputed that humans are affecting the climate, that the green house effect is real.
    With:

Scientists questioning the accuracy of IPCC climate projections
    Scientists arguing that global warming is primarily caused by natural processes
    Scientists arguing that the cause of global warming is unknown
    Scientists arguing that global warming will have few negative consequences
    List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    dont you ? considering the 5m claim

i never heard of him denying it. I never heard of anyone denying he said it.
    In fact I seem to recall he made a correction to the story, to get the 2028 (as opposed to 2018)
    I think this is the correction of the 1998 interview:

Michaels also has the facts wrong about a 1988 interview of me by Bob Reiss, in which Reiss asked me to
    speculate on changes that might happen in New York City in 40 years assuming CO2 doubled in amount. Michaels
    has it as 20 years, not 40 years, with no mention of doubled CO2. Reiss verified this fact to me, but he later sent the
    message: "I went back to my book and re-read the interview I had with you. I am embarrassed to say that although
    the book text is correct, in remembering our original conversation, during a casual phone interview with a Salon
    magazine reporter in 2001 I was off in years. What I asked you originally at your office window was for a prediction
    of what Broadway would look like in 40 years, not 20. But when I spoke to the Salon reporter 10 years later -
    probably because I'd been watching the predictions come true, I remembered it as a 20 year question." So give
    Michaels a pass on this one -- assume that he reads Salon, but he did not check the original source, Reiss' book.
    So an interview. To speculate. And this is how it was reported in the Salon:

The West Side Highway [which runs along the Hudson River] will be under water. And there will be tape across the windows across the street because of high winds.
    Is this a scientific prediction of rising sea levels, or a storm surge, or just speculation in an interview in 1988. Who knows? But funnily enough, guess where this is:

Source

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied

If this is the statement EO is referring to, it would be great if he could now point us to the point where PJ agreed with this.
    Possibly the link i referred to earlier: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1752654

Quoted a bit including this:

Hansen (2007) suggested that a 10-year doubling time was plausible, pointing out that such a doubling time from a base of 1 mm per year ice sheet contribution to sea level in the decade 2005-2015 would lead to a cumulative 5 m sea level rise by 2095.
    So it's 'plausible'.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    So do you believe that reflects Hansen's views or position?
    dont you ? considering the 5m claim

i never heard of him denying it. I never heard of anyone denying he said it.
    In fact I seem to recall he made a correction to the story, to get the 2028 (as opposed to 2018)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    it was discussed in many places
    try this one
    So do you believe that reflects Hansen's views or position?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    What would be really interesting, EO, just to show how you like to play things with a straight bat, is if you could advise as to where you got the West side underwater by 2028 story from.
    it was discussed in many places
    try this one

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    no offence taken. But you are displaying a fair amount of naivety and ignorance here.
    no one has ever disputed that humans are affecting the climate, that the green house effect is real. Producing millions of journals that say the same is meaningless.

no one has ever disputed that humans are affecting the climate, that the green house effect is real.
    With:

Scientists questioning the accuracy of IPCC climate projections
    Scientists arguing that global warming is primarily caused by natural processes
    Scientists arguing that the cause of global warming is unknown
    Scientists arguing that global warming will have few negative consequences

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Anyway, a bit off topic, but I found this interesting:

Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a good job we have so many people here who know better.

What the sceptics say is that the effect is so tiny its worth ignoring.

Most scientists would agree that if you peed into the ocean, sea levels would rise
    anyone with common sense would say, so what ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X