• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ebola- SAA attitude"

Collapse

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I wonder what Livingstone or Stanley would have done?

As a young child I lived way up in the jungle in Nigeria and contracted many a fine disease and virus (Malaria, Green Monkey Fever, Bilharia, etc.) yet I'm still here and even went and lived in South Africa afterwards where our after school hobby was catching Rinkals (Spitting Cobras.) People have no guts nowadays...
    I get it and took many more risks in the past, but since having a daughter who is now 18 months, and me turning 47 in November has made me much more risk averse to things like this. When I was younger I would probably have volunteered to go and help out! But my family are too precious to me now.

Same for my wife, she volunteered in a female prison in Peru for for 2 years and caught all sorts of nasties.

How times change...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well they wouldn't wimp out of a business trip if there was money to be earnt.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    obviously another forum member with an attitude problem. deary me.......enough risks without taking on the additional risk of contracting a deadly disease. Talking of contracting now run along and do some more testing, you obviously cant have an adult debate without becoming sarcastic.
    Yes; an attitude problem and a lot of experience of travelling in western and southern Africa.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I would'nt go that far, but its a start! Her trip is cancelled already, think the whole firm is rethinking their plans to postpone a few months until the dust has settled.

Its bloody scary, the more travel restrictions in place the better IMHO: BBC News - Ebola outbreak: Suspected case in County Donegal
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh yes bloody scary; body of sick man is now under the charge of the mortuary of a hospital in Ireland, which last time I looked was a developed country with highly educated doctors and good hygiene standards.

Mind you, perhaps it's better you or your lady don't go to Africa; too many scary insects, plants, slippery bathroom floors, strong vodka tonics and so on. Stay at home, and always wear your crash helmet!
    obviously another forum member with an attitude problem. deary me.......enough risks without taking on the additional risk of contracting a deadly disease. Talking of contracting now run along and do some more testing, you obviously cant have an adult debate without becoming sarcastic.

As a young child I lived way up in the jungle in Nigeria and contracted many a fine disease and virus (Malaria, Green Monkey Fever, Bilharia, etc.) yet I'm still here and even went and lived in South Africa afterwards where our after school hobby was catching Rinkals (Spitting Cobras.) People have no guts nowadays...

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Oh yes bloody scary; body of sick man is now under the charge of the mortuary of a hospital in Ireland, which last time I looked was a developed country with highly educated doctors and good hygiene standards.

Mind you, perhaps it's better you or your lady don't go to Africa; too many scary insects, plants, slippery bathroom floors, strong vodka tonics and so on. Stay at home, and always wear your crash helmet!
    Last edited by smalldog; 22 August 2014, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Mmmm Boerewors.
    Yum yum yum. Kudu steak mmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Its bloody scary, the more travel restrictions in place the better IMHO: BBC News - Ebola outbreak: Suspected case in County Donegal

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Oh so you mean, they´re kind of, on top of the situation?

Yep, so you'll be OK travelling to Jo'burg. (as long as you stay in a bloody good hotel and only use the hotel's trusted taxi drivers)
    I would'nt go that far, but its a start! Her trip is cancelled already, think the whole firm is rethinking their plans to postpone a few months until the dust has settled.

Its bloody scary, the more travel restrictions in place the better IMHO: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28886663
    Last edited by smalldog; 22 August 2014, 07:47.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Mmmm Boerewors.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Ek is 'n Boerejood...👊

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    And don't be a Boer while you're there
    Man, de last thing I would want to be is a Boer.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    On the other hand, just stay in your hotel room otherwise you might get Veldt up
    enough

plees

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Yep, so you'll be OK travelling to Jo'burg. (as long as you stay in a bloody good hotel and only use the hotel's trusted taxi drivers)
    On the other hand, just stay in your hotel room otherwise you might get Veldt up

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

And don't be a Boer while you're there

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Nice to be proven right , the SA govt has stepped in:

BBC News - Ebola travel: South Africa bans incomers from W Africa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X