• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trial Period On Contract?"

Collapse

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Of course I'm pedantic - I'm a programmer !

I'm not malvolio, although we do share something in common. And neither am I _V_, with whom I also share something in common - but not the same.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    Only because you were pretending to be Asterix ! Where is he/she ? Gone off to do some work probably.
    Nope I don't pretend to be anyone, perhaps Asterix also found your pedantic postings on this matter tiresome?

btw are you also malvolio? as he/she suffers from the same condition of not knowing when to stop digging!

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Only because you were pretending to be Asterix ! Where is he/she ? Gone off to do some work probably.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Really ?
    Ahh the old trick of using copy and paste to amend posts to support your argument when in a sticky situation eh?

The Originals

Originally Posted by TazMaN
    How come u can come here & work and we can't go to the US to work (not that I'd want to) ?

Is it because our government are constantly bending over for your government and so you can come here but we can't go there?!

Originally Posted by Troll
    In general I actually like America & Americans - can you imagine how peeved off we would be if Johnny bleedin foreigner berated us all the time for Blair’s policies!!!

So we could cut Tracy some slack and at least make her welcome

HTH

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    How come u can come here & work and we can't go to the US to work (not that I'd want to) ?

Is it because our government are constantly bending over for your government and so you can come here but we can't go there?!
    Really ?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Anyhow, back to the topic. Why don't you be nice to Trace ? US government policy isn't all her fault, you know.
    I thought it was me who suggested we were all nice to Trace

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Oxford Handy Dictionary : American ; Of the continent of America; of the United States;

So we're both right. But I'm right first !
    QUOTE]

No
    I was never wrong

You have to put the little slash in before the word QUOTE to make it work properly. Sorry. I won't correct you again. No really, I won't. Well, only if you're really bad.

Anyhow, back to the topic. Why don't you be nice to Trace ? US government policy isn't all her fault, you know.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    [QUOTE=oraclesmith]Oxford Handy Dictionary : American ; Of the continent of America; of the United States;

QUOTE]

No
    I was never wrong

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Asterix
    Oraclesmith, the question was clearly addressed to Tracy not yourself, so it's twice you've come in in this thread with the wrong info. Read your advice !!
    Ah, but the title of your piece was 'Correcting ME ?' which clearly refers to my correction of your typo.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Oxford Handy Dictionary : American ; Of the continent of America; of the United States;

If you like Canadians, then why include them in your definition of "American", which you clearly don't like.

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied
    Butting in

Oraclesmith, the question was clearly addressed to Tracy not yourself, so it's twice you've come in in this thread with the wrong info. Read your advice !!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    American.

In fact technically "American" covers all American continentals including Peruvians, Chileans etc. Perhaps you mean the United States of America.
    Are you sure you haven't got that the wrong way around?

Strictly speaking I should have referred to 'North America' as ‘America’ does include North & Southern America (and I do like Canadians as well) but I believe the term 'American' usage is taken to mean a citizen of the USA, but without access to a OED cannot confirm.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Actually I am not an American of any persuasion. Remember - read twice, post once !

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied
    Correcting ME ?

So what do you call yourselves these days ? I'd have thought you are all American citizens or Yanks as most commonly referred to. Hence the 'American dream' which is what you all aspire to, because it's exactly that, a dream. Wake up!

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by TracyTrace
    Actually you will find that regardless of which part of the hemisphere Americans hail from they can NOT migrate here at will.

At least Northern Americans have the visa waiver program as the Brits do with us but most South Americans require a visa to visit, much less to work herel

However seeing as your little island has absorbed over 400,000 Eastern European migrants in the last few years and will absorb a whole lot more when the next batch of Eastern European countries becomes part of the EU should you really be bothered with one American in the face of the largest wave of mass immigration your country has experienced?
    Actually I was correcting Asterix - it's a sort of game us sad lonely contractors play sometimes. It was also a subtle attempt at wrong-footing the thread, but clearly it didn't work.

Anyhow, I like the US. I use a stars and stripes beach towel for the gym and have a US flag in the pencil mug on my desk. Like most US citizens, I don't much like the Republicans.

Bring on the East Europeans ! They are generally hard working and they'll boost the economy. The immigrants we don't like are the ones which just go straight on the dole and stay there, sucking up our tax contributions and boosting the crime rate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X