• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bailing on a gig after a few weeks"

Collapse

• paulinefowlersgrowler
    replied
    Thanks for all replies. Yes, gig started this week. Its a bum on seat role which is a little lower level than I expected to be honest. So yes they are pretty much getting value straight away (call queue stuff etc).

I hear what everyone says. I do appreciate however that that may be it for current client ever.
    Last edited by paulinefowlersgrowler; 2 April 2014, 19:41.

Leave a comment:

• arrumac
    replied
    can you live with not being considered by the client again in the future?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
    Starting new gig soon. Agency called today and had a right go because of something I'd put on my LinkedIn profile. Bit spooky that they've been checking it and stalking me.

Accused me of being underhand since I'd already signed with them. I explained to them that they didn't own me and whereas I was aware I had signed a contract, I reserved the right to conduct my business including contract searches how I saw fit. Told them I would continue to look up until I got on site (I have been bitten before when a gig was pulled the day before).

Agency seem to think I'm their employee for some reason. Nightmare.

Am I being unfair on them? I thought not.
    Oh, its this client you're looking to bail from....

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Even though there is clause in my contract that I can do this - reading some posts its considered not a good thing to do?

Appreciate both client and agent won't be happy but its in the contract I guess. Surely if it suited them they'd get rid of me.

Another gig has come up. Much better, they put me through SC as well. Longer term - current gig is deffo only 3 months.

Part of me says take it and look after number one but part of me says its not cool and it really won't be a good thing to do.
    Have you also considered the risk that you could bail from this contract, only to find the next one gets canned? And as someone else asked, do you have a firm offer for it?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Even though there is clause in my contract that I can do this - reading some posts its considered not a good thing to do?

Appreciate both client and agent won't be happy but its in the contract I guess. Surely if it suited them they'd get rid of me.

Another gig has come up. Much better, they put me through SC as well. Longer term - current gig is deffo only 3 months.

Part of me says take it and look after number one but part of me says its not cool and it really won't be a good thing to do.
    Leaving a 3 month contract for no other reason than you've found something better is a bit lame.
    Its only 3 months, are you just doing some bum on seat process type work, or are you meant to deliver something in that time? If they've spent two weeks of day rate on you, what did they get for it in return?

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    I read this as no offer has been made yet, get a firm offer before entertaining moving. Then simply tell them you have a more profitable opportunity and will be offski.

Leave a comment:

• MojoDog
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you do bail and they want a reason don't give them that tulip about distance as the more contractors who give that excuse the harder it makes it for everyone else.
    Says who?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied

Inform the Client that "due to the current economic environment" you've had to "re-align resources" in order to "maximise effectiveness." In light of this, your only option is to "raise contractor rates by 10%" And then, unfortunately, "raise them by a further 10% in six months time."

I'm sure at this point they would part company with you quite swiftly and effortlessly.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you do bail and they want a reason don't give them that tulip about distance as the more contractors who give that excuse the harder it makes it for everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• MojoDog
    replied

Only you know the true circumstances of your situation and so I guess the only answer is "It depends..."

I've brought this subject up with agents and in almost every case they would be hacked-off if someone bailed, but more than happy to accept someone who has bailed from another gig to fill theirs - the pimp's paradox

It's up to you, really. You will get a million different replies on here - some of them may even be relevant...

End of the day it's look after No. 1.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Open the box or take the money. Your choice.
    Within the context of the OP's user name, I feel a bit poorly now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Open the box or take the money. Your choice.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Speaking of which where is NW2PC?
    Day 2 of new gig. Day -4 of next gig.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No one likes a mercenary
    Speaking of which where is NW2PC?